What's new

Pizza. What's the best part? What "makes" it?

Well said!

On the Little Ceasars's thing: It seems to vary by location. Apparently the ingredients are decent but it takes effort and care to produce a good result. I've had one location where the pizza was consistently at or above common local pizzeria quality, and others have been inconsistent at best, often with very disappointing pizzas that have nasty crust or even taste kinda foul (perhaps local water quality?).

I'd believe that. Quality ingredients are only half of the equation, you have to have someone that knows what to do with them (or at least cares enough to follow instructions) to end up with a quality product. And you might be on to something with the water... we have excellent tap water here in Oregon... I remember when I lived in CA though, we always drank the filtered water from the fridge because the tap water was gross. Given your experience, I'll thank my lucky stars that I have a quality location in my town.

I've asked around (ok, ok, just my wife and the cat) and the answers are all over the map.
I'm gonna have to say crust.
My wife says sauce.
The cat has no opinion.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I think all the items (crust [thin], well-seasoned and tasty sauce, cheese, [extra], and toppings [must have anchovies]), in equal parts make a great pizza! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six". Yogi Berra

Last edited:
I like all sorts of pizza, but I do have a problem with Little Caesar's... bland sauce and crust that's bready but lacking in any character at all. It's bottom of the barrel, at least around here.

Sauce with flavor is important. Good ingredients on top are important. But crust is king when it comes to pizza.

I've been to Bianco's locally which has received some national hype. The wait to go there is too long and the hype is a little strong, but they do have an absolutely superb crust. It made the bother worthwhile. I'm also a fan of Grimaldi's, which is now a chain here in AZ. Charred, crisp crust with a little chew. Mmmm. I think I might need to order some pizza for dinner.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like all sorts of pizza, but I do have a problem with Little Caesar's... bland sauce and crust that's bready but lacking in any character at all. It's bottom of the barrel, at least around here.

Sauce with flavor is important. Good ingredients on top are important. But crust is king when it comes to pizza.

I've been to Bianco's locally which has received some national hype. The wait to go there is too long and the hype is a little strong, but they do have an absolutely superb crust. It made the bother worthwhile. I'm also a fan of Grimaldi's, which is now a chain here in AZ. Charred, crisp crust with a little chew. Mmmm. I think I might need to order some pizza for dinner.

We have a Grimaldi's in Dallas. I haven't been to it yet because it is in Dallas.

on edit: I just found out they opened a Grimaldi's in Grapevine. I guess I know where I am going on pay day.

Last edited:
There isn't too much about pizza that I don't like. Living in the NYC area there are a ton of great Mom & Pop places. I probably could eat pizza for every meal:001_rolle

The crust is key, it must be thin and crispy with good flavor. I feel dissapointed if the crust is thick and bready. The crust must not be soft and floppy.

The sauce must have good flavor and not be runny.

The toppings must not be too wet so as to make the topping runny and the crust soggy. A colleage who worked in a pizza shop renown for their vegetable toppings told me that they partially oven dried vegetables in advance each day to prevent runny toppings and soggy crust.

For those that cook their own pizzas, how important is a pizza stone? I've heard stories about dynamite crust from a pizza stone rather than just cooking on the rack/pan.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Pizza is like the Beatles.

The crust is like Ringo ... supporting the rest with a good, serviceable performance. He's no genius, so he looks out of place, but ... he's actually decent and knows his role and does it well. As long as he's not "noticeably bad", nobody minds and it's all good.

The sauce is like George ... not "the star" of the show, but essential to the overall pie, and when you DO notice him on occasion, you can be quite blown away.

The cheese and toppings are Lennon McCartney. They blend together on top to get main billing, although you can always tell the difference between a "John song" and a "Paul song". This is what people pay money for, and line up around the block for when it's good.

You can't have "the Beatles" without all four, and you can't have a pizza without ... all four.

I'm sitting here staring at a piece of Mediterranean Pizza from Boston Pizza.
Leftovers.

It's soooo good.

Half and half Tuscan and Rustic Italian ... mmm!!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
For those that cook their own pizzas, how important is a pizza stone? I've heard stories about dynamite crust from a pizza stone rather than just cooking on the rack/pan.

In my opinion pizza pans kill pizza. They don't allow the release of moisture so you end up with mushy pizza. It is my personal opinion that an inexpensive stone will do. I broke a $20 one after a few years by being lazy and putting a heavy frozen meal in the oven on top of it.

I've always cooked my pies on brick (a stone)... never been disappointed.

Crust?
Sauce?
Cheese?
Toppings?
Well they are all important but I agree less is more. I bake on a stone at home and in a wood fired brick oven at the cabin.

I won't eat a pizza with nasty toppings. No little fish, no pineapple, no chicken, and no pseudo-meat made out of squished chicken carcasses (aka "mechanically separated chicken"). All are gross on pizza and do not belong on there.

So the answer for me is toppings.

Four things make the pizza: the crust, sauce, cheese, and toppings. All have to be excellent quality, because they work together. You can usually tell in one bite if it's a good pizza, or a poor one.

Top Bottom