What's new

Pizza- there is always that one guy

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Satire it may be but being resident in SE Asia for many years I can tell you the "pizza" described -- and the crime it constitutes -- is not fictional.
proxy.php
Suddenly, a Hawaiian sounds pretty good :lol:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If I liked my tacos with banana and sardines, yes. It needs a name. I’m not going to say “give me a tortilla stuffed with bananas and sardines.” I’m going to say “give me a banana and sardine taco”

Just like I don’t say “I’m making a pot full of beans, meat, spices, and some vegetables.” I say “I’m making chili”

Now, if someone were to say “give me a hotdog and put ketchup on it”. I’d say “that’s not a hotdog!!”
That's just semantics. However you want to say it, beans should not go into chili and be called chili (I'm using your argument that a hotdog is not called a hotdog if you put ketchup on it....and I agree).

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That's just semantics. However you want to say it, beans should not go into chili and be called chili (I'm using your argument that a hotdog is not called a hotdog if you put ketchup on it....and I agree).
I’ve been eating beans in chili my whole life and calling it chili. Maybe I’ve been wrong. But it’s still chili to me and always will be. Same with pizza, no matter what I put on it. It’s gonna be pizza. Right or wrong.

(But I’m right :001_tt2:)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I’ve been eating beans in chili my whole life and calling it chili. Maybe I’ve been wrong. But it’s still chili to me and always will be. Same with pizza, no matter what I put on it. It’s gonna be pizza. Right or wrong.

Beans with spicy meat gravy....there.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Having grown up in the north, I regularly ate beans in chili (beans are cheaper than beef, too). I would call it chili, but Texas Red Chili shouldn't have them- it's just not right. Oh, and I do ketchup on hot dogs sometimes. I was born about 45 minutes from Pittsburgh (the home of Heinz), so a lot of food just served as a vehicle for ketchup. I have ketchup in my blood :)

my brothers and I were raised in a university town about 200 miles south of Chicago. One of my brothers has since moved and lives in NJ. Casual conversation with his neighbor about "where you from" brought up the following diatribe from his neighbor.
"I don't understand you guys, you take everything and make it into a garden salad. A slice of pizza should have some cheese, maybe some pep on a crust that isn't a loaf of bread. A hot dog should just have mustard and maybe a little kraut. You guys just turn everything into a garden salad. "

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Satire it may be but being resident in SE Asia for many years I can tell you the "pizza" described -- and the crime it constitutes -- is not fictional.
proxy.php
IMHO, the tail is the tastiest part of the shrim coock.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
my brothers and I were raised in a university town about 200 miles south of Chicago. One of my brothers has since moved and lives in NJ. Casual conversation with his neighbor about "where you from" brought up the following diatribe from his neighbor.
"I don't understand you guys, you take everything and make it into a garden salad. A slice of pizza should have some cheese, maybe some pep on a crust that isn't a loaf of bread. A hot dog should just have mustard and maybe a little kraut. You guys just turn everything into a garden salad. "
A Chicago dog is pretty good, though.

I'm neutral on pineapple/hawaiian pizza, but hate chicken on pizza with anything except a white sauce. BBQ chicken pizza is a sacrilege, as is chicken on a red sauce pizza.

With beans it is called chili ...... with meat added it is called chili con carne (or chili with meat) :001_tongu

Growing up that's what that bean/tomato/hamburger dish was always called in our house, chili con carne.
dave

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nota bene to those residing South of the Mason-Dixon line:

Matzo and ketchup is not pizza.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Traditionally, the first literary mention of pizza is taken to be this passage from Vergil's Aeneid, written in the first century B.C. ...

Beneath a shady tree, the hero spread
His table on the turf, with cakes of bread;
And, with his chiefs, on forest fruits he fed.
They sate; and, (not without the god's command,)
Their homely fare dispatch'd, the hungry band
Invade their trenchers next, and soon devour,
To mend the scanty meal, their cakes of flour.
Ascanius this observ'd, and smiling said:
"See, we devour the plates on which we fed."

This is a translation, obviously, but ... the story tells of the invention of pizza, where Aeneas and his sailors have only bread to eat, so they gather the forest fruits ... sometimes translated "fruits of the field" ... to put upon the bread to eat it. And voila, pizza is born.

Now, I accept that it is almost impossible that they had access to pineapple to select as one of those fruits that day but ... "fruit" as a pizza topping appears to go right back to the very beginning of pizza.

Hmm ...

Once I had an Oktoberfest pizza with mustard-cream cheese sauce and the toppings were German sausage and sauerkraut. It was actually pretty good.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Traditionally, the first literary mention of pizza is taken to be this passage from Vergil's Aeneid, written in the first century B.C. ...

Beneath a shady tree, the hero spread
His table on the turf, with cakes of bread;
And, with his chiefs, on forest fruits he fed.
They sate; and, (not without the god's command,)
Their homely fare dispatch'd, the hungry band
Invade their trenchers next, and soon devour,
To mend the scanty meal, their cakes of flour.
Ascanius this observ'd, and smiling said:
"See, we devour the plates on which we fed."

This is a translation, obviously, but ... the story tells of the invention of pizza, where Aeneas and his sailors have only bread to eat, so they gather the forest fruits ... sometimes translated "fruits of the field" ... to put upon the bread to eat it. And voila, pizza is born.

Now, I accept that it is almost impossible that they had access to pineapple to select as one of those fruits that day but ... "fruit" as a pizza topping appears to go right back to the very beginning of pizza.

Hmm ...
Well, at least you aren't suggesting that coconuts are migratory. :001_tt2:

Top Bottom