What's new

Pizza? I got your pizza, right here!

My mother was born in Italy and made pizza in the southern Italy style. She always added a tiny bit of garlic powder and olive oil to the dough mixture. I used to love it when my grandmother and mother would get together and make pizza. They would make three or four different kinds of pizza. There was one pizza they made that was in the form of a bread with no sauce on it. It had white raisins, paprika, and a few other spices to it and they would make it into a round loaf of bread. They would serve that with sauce on the side.

I don’t do pizza much anymore as I am on a carb restricted diet but do have it once in awhile and only a few pieces..

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I make pizza from time to time. I don’t do a second rising but may have to try it.

I don't often do a second rise, either, but I do like to do a sponge. Mix half of the flour with all the water and yeast (but nothing else, certainly no salt), cover the bowl, and just let it do its thing for as long as you have time, whether it's 20 minutes or overnight.

When you're done with your rest, add all the rest of the dough ingredients, and proceed like you normally would. The longer you go, the more fermentation character you get in the final dough.

I don't often do a second rise, either, but I do like to do a sponge. Mix half of the flour with all the water and yeast (but nothing else, certainly no salt), cover the bowl, and just let it do its thing for as long as you have time, whether it's 20 minutes or overnight.

When you're done with your rest, add all the rest of the dough ingredients, and proceed like you normally would. The longer you go, the more fermentation character you get in the final dough.
Sounds interesting. That’s a better description of the sponge than I’ve seen elsewhere. I’ll have to try it.

When you order, ask them not to slice it and slice it when you get it home. That can help keep the crust crisp.

Although keeping the dough intact keeps the moisture from getting in, what makes takeout pizza crappy is the box. The pizza just steams in the box while it's being delivered/taken home. The best trick (which includes not slicing), is to get it half baked so the dough is somewhat set. Once you get it home, you can finish on the rack in your oven then slice.

I have a pizza stone and make pizza on the grill... toppings are non-traditional....a base of pesto, some diced up artichoke hearts, black olives, fresh mushrooms, feta cheese and some mozzarella. Yummy stuff and great to serve fresh when we have friends over

2EE5A033-E5D8-41A1-A345-33560C4D0B4F.jpeg

Be back in about 20 minutes

As a teenager I was given The Joy of Cooking. It's an astounding book that really changed how I cook. I learned how to make my own bread, and their suggestion was for traditional yeast bread, just don't let it rise the second time and you have pizza crust. That recipe and practice has stood me well these past 40 years.

Top Bottom