What's new

Pistol for a Wife

I would skip a centerfire gun as her first and get a good .22 semi auto so she can learn to shoot, have fun plinking and not break the bank doing it. I am partial to the Ruger MK series, but have nothing against a Browning Buckmark. I would skip the shorter barreled models because their muzzle blast is obnoxious for a .22. I'd look at a 6" model with adjustable sights. After she's proficient and hopefully having fun, I'd shift the focus to a centerfire and only lean toward it as a defensive piece if she wanted to go in that direction. If she's not inclined, I'd let her pick a full sized gun as a range toy and skip the compacts and micros.
I agree with the above approach.

.22 are great trainers. They allow people to work on the fundamentals while using less expensive and lower recoil ammunition (hopefully meaning they can shoot more and further improve their skills).

Shooting knowledge will also further inform a person to what to look for in regards to the attributes of a firearm that would best fit the task at hand (you wouldn't want to take a .223 to hunt elephants, acquire a 45-70 for home defense, purchase a firearm that is too unwieldy to shoot or buy a firearm that is so light and or small for it caliber that it is painful to shoot, otherwise they'll most likely never be used for there intended purposes).

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Kimber Micro9. That would be the weapon that I would ask her to look at as a possibility.

My wife just bought a Micro9. She has been practicing at home bringing it into a shooting position and taking off the safety. She is used to my Glock 43. One good thing about the ammo shortage is she will have a good feel for the 1911 style pistol by the time she can shoot it.

@ackvil- Some thoughts for you: I would suggest you take her to a range that rents a good selection of pistols and let her handle them to see what feels good in the hand for her. Then rent a few for her to try on the range. If she ends up liking shooting, before looking to buy have a frank discussion with her, so she can consider all the potential uses for her pistol- range use, casual outdoor plinking, self-defense, or for potential carry? There's an awful lot for her to consider in a purchase- type of handgun, caliber, feel, ease of cleaning and the like. And, if you do decide to buy, let her lead the decision and make the purchase. I've seen many women get turned off to shooting by overeager boyfriends or husbands. Unfortunately, this is a terrible time to buy- prices are high and inventory is scarce. So, take your time and see how it plays out.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
@ackvil- Some thoughts for you: I would suggest you take her to a range that rents a good selection of pistols and let her handle them to see what feels good in the hand for her. Then rent a few for her to try on the range. If she ends up liking shooting, before looking to buy have a frank discussion with her, so she can consider all the potential uses for her pistol- range use, casual outdoor plinking, self-defense, or for potential carry? There's an awful lot for her to consider in a purchase- type of handgun, caliber, feel, ease of cleaning and the like. And, if you do decide to buy, let her lead the decision and make the purchase. I've seen many women get turned off to shooting by overeager boyfriends or husbands. Unfortunately, this is a terrible time to buy- prices are high and inventory is scarce. So, take your time and see how it plays out.

I know what @ackvil did for a living before he retired, he is a master negotiator. :lol:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I had a shock today. My wife saw me looking at some pistols today and asked if she could join me at the shooting range within the next two weeks. I jumped at the opportunity since this is the first time she expressed an interest in guns. A few weeks ago she told me that I should take a pistol with me when I drove from AZ to IN and then on to MN for a fishing trip.

I took out some of the guns I have (Glock 17, 19, 23, 21 SF and a Smith & Wesson snubbie. My wife is 5' and weighs 110 pounds and has small hands. She found all of these guns on the heavy side.

I plan to take her to a shooting range where she will get some training from an NRA instructor that I know. Any suggestions on pistol or revolver I should be looking at?
Mrs. Columbo is also petite. She has carried a S&W J-frame for many years. She currently carries a more current model 642, which is a very light alloy version.

These are excellent point and shoot belly guns for the ladies. There is virtually nothing to maintain or go wrong with them. They are not greasy, messy, sliders, and there is nothing to rack, no magazines.

She loves shooting our .22 target pistol. But if placed in a dangerous situation, she would insist on that S&W Airweight being there instead. Only five rounds. But believe me when I tell you, very few PD encounters ever involve more than that.

I would start any lady with a small revolver.

Check the used gun market for a good, used Colt Police Postive chambered in .32 Colt New Police, which is really the same cartridge known as the .32 S&W Long.

This is a quality gun sized for small hands.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Since Jim @ackvil is a huge Glock guy like myself, He has the experience and knowledge, to be an excellent training instructor, help her learn to be really safe and really good with a Glock.

So a smaller Glock like the G43X or G43 or even a G42 would be my suggestion. My wife can really shoot and handle her G43 because of my expert tutorials. :ouch1: Yep, I'm pretty magnificent I have to say... :)

Since Jim @ackvil is a huge Glock guy like myself, He has the experience and knowledge, to be an excellent training instructor, help her learn to be really safe and really good with a Glock.

So a smaller Glock like the G43X or G43 or even a G42 would be my suggestion. My wife can really shoot and handle her G43 because of my expert tutorials. :ouch1: Yep, I'm pretty magnificent I have to say... :)
You forgot to mention humble too. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just be careful and educate her BST heft and weight in a gun is not necessarily a bad thing. It will reduce felt recoil and her perceptions of how pleasant or unpleasant a particular caliber can be. A 38spl in an airweight is a whole lot different than a 38 in a 6” barreled N frame smith.

Also, let her decide what she likes, don’t try and push her toward semi auto or revolver. In my years as an instructor, one thing was for certain, ladies will surprise you, and in the best ways. Once I had an 87 year old lady take our CCW class. She struggled with 9mm, 38, and 357. Once we put a 1911 45acp in her hand, she was the best shot in the room with that gun.

I came to tell it like it is...

But there are already so many good suggestions!

I like the small Rugers (380 etc) as well as the CZs (up to 9mm) but I'll tell you what I bought my wife:

A Taurus G2C (9mm sub compact). I doubt it's available but when it was, I paid $169 for it and she absolutely loves it. It has a manual safety, a trigger safety, and a 'fin' with a red dot that provides both visual and tactile indication that the gun is chambered. It also holds 13 bullets and has an excellent grip! It is very accurate and it breaks down for cleaning in about ten seconds.

But get her a 380 LCP if you can (and if you don't live in an urban area.)

I got to tell you, I suck at trying to figure out what my female friends want when it comes to handguns. I have a G42 and I absolutely love the thing. It’s fast, it’s light, recoils like a toy and anyone can get a grip on it.

And yet, I’m the only person who shoots or carries it. Every woman I’ve shot with have gravitated to any one of my Walther’s in 9mm. I’ll never understand it. But then, I’ve long given up trying.

As for tutoring... they all shoot better than me out of the gate :).

Top Bottom