What's new

Pistol Caliber Carbines

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Very happy here with an old Rock River 9mm AR15. Cannot use those nice, long stick mags (either Colt or modified Uzi), as this is New York, and we're protected from such horrors by Cuomo's "S.A.F.E. Act."

But even with short mags, it's an economical blast to shoot. And set up with a light and laser, it's a great home defense rig.

Moreover, it's clean: no gas tube, no gas and no carbon. Prefers a diet of +P or even ++P. Only downside is a too-heavy trigger. (Gotta' get me some springs and do something about that. But I say that every year.)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Very happy here with an old Rock River 9mm AR15. Cannot use those nice, long stick mags (either Colt or modified Uzi), as this is New York, and we're protected from such horrors by Cuomo's "S.A.F.E. Act."

But even with short mags, it's an economical blast to shoot. And set up with a light and laser, it's a great home defense rig.

Moreover, it's clean: no gas tube, no gas and no carbon. Prefers a diet of +P or even ++P. Only downside is a too-heavy trigger. (Gotta' get me some springs and do something about that. But I say that every year.)

You can get a Rock River two-stage drop in fairly inexpensively. While it ain't no Geissele trigger, it would be perfect for your 9mm and change that trigger from night to day. :)

Or you can spend just a bit more and even get this, it's on sale. :)

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
You can get a Rock River two-stage drop in fairly inexpensively. While it ain't no Geissele trigger, it would be perfect for your 9mm and change that trigger from night to day. :)

Or you can spend just a bit more and even get this, it's on sale. :)

Thanks! :thumbup1:

That two-stage Wilson Combat looks good, especially since it's spec'd for 9mm. I'm particularly spoiled, as my other lowers are kitted with Jewells and CMCs. Just never have gotten around to dealing with the 9mm lower.

Okie you beat me to it. I was also going to recommend a trigger replacement. Those are good recommendations. I have a CMC straight trigger on mine pcitured earlier that's made for a 9mm. But that one is a single stage and a 2 stage has a lot of advantages, kind of a personal preference.

One item of interest; Geissele will void the warranty if you use their triggers in a 9mm PCC. So yeah, that makes the Rock River all that more attractive. I have a couple Rock River triggers.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble, I didn't do a detailed review, but I believe I mentioned that it has worked very well for me in the thread(s) where I have discussed my lightweight .223 build. Bottom line, it's not a match grade trigger, but it is a very good "run and gun", duty or self defense trigger, way better than any "mil spec" trigger. I have not found it wanting for the short range CQB type rapid shooting I do with it and what I built my AR for. Could I shoot smaller groups from the bench with a match grade trigger? Probably, but I'd need better optics, etc., etc. and that's not what I built the gun for. I think it is a great value for the money.

That being said, I think it is wise to consider a PCC specific trigger for an PCC build or upgrade. While any standard AR trigger will work, the PCC triggers have a different hammer geometry specifically suited for the forces encountered in blowback PCCs, less wear and tear on the lower receiver, etc., etc. I had purchased another LaRue to use temporarily in my PCC build when it looked like the TT AR9 trigger would be on extended backorder, but I received the AR9 before the LaRue. So now I need to decide what to do with an extra LaRue trigger. At first I thought that I may use it to upgrade the trigger in my Bushmaster Dissipater carbine. When I built my .300 BO AR pistol, my first build, I went all out with a Geissle SSA-E trigger. While its a fantastic trigger it might be put to better use elsewhere? Maybe swap it out with the LaRue and put the SSA-E in the Grendel? or.....?

Last edited:
I picked up a Ruger PC9 a few years ago. I like that it allows me to use my Glock mags. I own a farm / cabin / hunting / fishing property in northern MN not far from the US Can border and wanted something easily accessible to handle nuisance critters. Im on the dark side of middle age and the years have taken their toll on my hearing. .223 carbines and many short barreled pistols have enough bark to cause me concern, and when the situation calls for urgency proper hearing protection is not always an option. Thus the decision to try a 9mm carbine. After a few years of use I have dispatched porcupines, skunks, rabid raccoons, coyotes, and a rabid feral dog. To say a couple of the scenarios played out quickly is an understatement. I should mention the longest shot involved was about 30 yards. The extra velocity out of the long barrel had a dramatic increase in power and with proper bullet selection the 9mm carbine is more than capable. I put a red dot sight on the carbine and it’s combo of fast handling, accuracy, power, low recoil and relatively low sound are a perfect match for my needs. I’ve fired the Ruger in conditions from +90 F and raining to -30 F with no issues. I treat this weapon like a tool, while I do keep it clean it is exposed to every weather condition I am. Ill not be without one in the coming years.

Had a Sig MPX at one time. Honestly didn't see the value after some time with the platform. Same weight as an AR. Comparable performance within 50 yards. Personally I choose to stick with the AR platform.

Now for an UZI, but...

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@OkieStubble, I didn't do a detailed review, but I believe I mentioned that it has worked very well for me in the thread(s) where I have discussed my lightweight .223 build. Bottom line, it's not a match grade trigger, but it is a very good "run and gun", duty or self defense trigger, way better than any "mil spec" trigger. I have not found it wanting for the short range CQB type rapid shooting I do with it and what I built my AR for. Could I shoot smaller groups from the bench with a match grade trigger? Probably, but I'd need better optics, etc., etc. and that's not what I built the gun for. I think it is a great value for the money.

That being said, I think it is wise to consider a PCC specific trigger for an PCC build or upgrade. While any standard AR trigger will work, the PCC triggers have a different hammer geometry specifically suited for the forces encountered in blowback PCCs, less wear and tear on the lower receiver, etc., etc. I had purchased another LaRue to use temporarily in my PCC build when it looked like the TT AR9 trigger would be on extended backorder, but I received the AR9 before the LaRue. So now I need to decide what to do with an extra LaRue trigger. At first I thought that I may use it to upgrade the trigger in my Bushmaster Dissipater carbine. When I built my .300 BO AR pistol, my first build, I went all out with a Geissle SSA-E trigger. While its a fantastic trigger it might be put to better use elsewhere? Maybe swap it out with the LaRue and put the SSA-E in the Grendel? or.....?

This is what I needed to know.

Larue in the BO and the Geissele in the Grendel? Makes sense to me. :)

Ive had a Beretta Cx4 Storm in 9mm for some time. I like pistol carbines as they are a fun to shoot with slightly cheaper ammo than a AR. Biggest gripe I have with some is magazine capacity. If most went the way of Glock mags it would serve them well as 30 rounders are readily available.

A friend has an AR 19 pistol that takes such mags, and its a hoot.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I saw a Marlin .45 Camp Carbine in the LGS today. It looked like it was in pretty good shape, but I was unable to take it down to inspect the buffer. They wanted $900 for it (which isn’t too bad) but without being able to make sure the receiver hasn’t been cracked by someone shooting it with a trashed/broken buffer I had to pass.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I do like my Ruger PCC. Glock mag conversion is handy, Volquartsen makes a nice trigger for it, and Tandem Kross makes lots of bits! Add that it isn't a "Scary" black rifle and it works out pretty well! And I agree with @nortac... Trigger Tech makes fabulous units! Plus cassette triggers for the win. I might go astray as Timney just dropped a new CZ trigger but that's another thread! :lol:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I saw a Marlin .45 Camp Carbine in the LGS today. It looked like it was in pretty good shape, but I was unable to take it down to inspect the buffer. They wanted $900 for it (which isn’t too bad) but without being able to make sure the receiver hasn’t been cracked by someone shooting it with a trashed/broken buffer I had to pass.

:a39: They are neat guns, and rare. I seem to recall the stocks would crack if the original buffers turned to dust/rubber chunks, but with the buffer replaced annually, a very cool thing to have. 100% reliable with Chip McCormick mags - at least, my buddy's was.

AA

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
:a39: They are neat guns, and rare. I seem to recall the stocks would crack if the original buffers turned to dust/rubber chunks, but with the buffer replaced annually, a very cool thing to have. 100% reliable with Chip McCormick mags - at least, my buddy's was.

AA
I’ve made a deal with myself. We’re going out of town for 2 weeks. If it’s still there when I get back I’m buying it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I’ve made a deal with myself. We’re going out of town for 2 weeks. If it’s still there when I get back I’m buying it.

:cuppa: Don't forget the Wolff 21# recoil spring, to go along with the Blackjack buffers.

Why, they even make an M4-style telescoping stock for it. :001_302: As I recall.

AA

Top Bottom