What's new

Pistol Caliber Carbines

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I have recently built an AR 9mm PCC and have seen and competed against Highpoint, Ruger, Marlin Camp Carbine and others. What PCCs have you encountered and do you have any interest in same? They are cheaper to to shoot than .223 and a lot of fun to shoot. What's your take on PCCs? I have to admit that initially I was not a fan, but have recently become a convert, but not to the exclusion of .223/5.56 and above.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Originally, I looked upon PCCs as a "range toy", but I have come to see them as more useful than that, particularly as a home defense or CQB weapon. To me, "range toys" are still practice for real life tactical situations, for the most part.

Originally, I looked upon PCCs as a "range toy", but I have come to see them as more useful than that, particularly as a home defense or CQB weapon. To me, "range toys" are still practice for real life tactical situations, for the most part.
I think they are great for home defense as well. I mean as a rule it should be more accurate, have less recoil, and you can strap on any tool that’s needed. I’m a fan. Assuming you don’t have really narrow hallways in your house.

I’ve always been a fan of Beretta‘s offering. And FN’s 5.7.

More a fun project than something for competition…
Why? Because it’s Plug&Play and legal in my jurisdiction.
AB13C9CA-F314-4981-A586-D90B7E3B10F6.jpeg

32FD8A58-A3E8-4ACF-A5BF-72637FC53ED1.jpeg

The +200 fps gain from the PCC 16" barrel is nothing to scoff at either. If shooting 9MM +P for home defense, that is a potent combo.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The +200 fps gain from the PCC 16" barrel is nothing to scoff at either. If shooting 9MM +P for home defense, that is a potent combo.

Agreed, while most "off the rack" PCCs will have the mandated 16 in. tube, mine is technically an "AR Pistol" with a 10.5 in. barrel. And yet when I was proposing my PCC build there were those who suggested that the 9mm cartridge realized diminishing returns on anything longer than 7-8 in. In the distant future, where defensive ammo is (ever?) plentiful and not too expensive, it would be interesting to chrono some through barrel lengths ranging from 4.5 to 16 inches to see what the truth really is.

Agreed, while most "off the rack" PCCs will have the mandated 16 in. tube, mine is technically an "AR Pistol" with a 10.5 in. barrel. And yet when I was proposing my PCC build there were those who suggested that the 9mm cartridge realized diminishing returns on anything longer than 7-8 in. In the distant future, where defensive ammo is (ever?) plentiful and not too expensive, it would be interesting to chrono some through barrel lengths ranging from 4.5 to 16 inches to see what the truth really is.

Paul Harrell did a review on PCCs but not anything with an intermediate barrel length (10.5"). The obvious fps champ was the longer barrel and where I got the 200 fps gain from. And let's not kid ourselves, 7 yards & under I don't want to get shot with a .380 & a 2" barrel.

How stable and how tight is the lockup on that stock?

The plug is roughly 2 inches and the whole Setup is very stable for being polymer.
The foregrip is a bit superfluous as you can’t use a regular holster only a sling and I have a little fear of putting too much torque on it getting a firm grip.

If you look at the video from Fab Defense (the guy that shoots after the girl) you see how it should work as a carry piece Cobra Stock

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The plug is roughly 2 inches and the whole Setup is very stable for being polymer.
The foregrip is a bit superfluous as you can’t use a regular holster only a sling and I have a little fear of putting too much torque on it getting a firm grip.

If you look at the video from Fab Defense (the guy that shoots after the girl) you see how it should work as a carry piece Cobra Stock
I had to stop watching. The young lady was SO MUCH less attractive than my War Department I had a hard time focusing. True story doggone.

If I can find a decent 10.5" 9mm barrel for a decent price, I'm going to build another 9mm upper. I have a 10.5" 5.56 AR and it's very handy.

Of course to be really inclusive, we'd have to consider the various pistol caliber lever actions, of which I'm a fan, but they don't fit as well into the scenarios that I had in mind when I started the thread.
That one was for Dave.
Trouble with all those wheel designs is the excess blast grilling your forearm….
Still they do offer a scoped 9 shot .22 lr/WMR version that looks like fun.

Top Bottom