What's new

Pipe tobacco - suggestions?

Hi,

I am relatively new to pipe smoking, and only smoke 1-2 a week. I have tried some of the Dunhill tobaccos before they were discontinued. My favorite is Durbar, but I also like 221b Bakerstreet and Nightcap. What would you suggest I try, that is in the same vicinity?

English blends I don't know much about. The Match Walnut I purchased earlier this year was pleasant, as were the samples of Englishes Whisky sent me -- Squadron Leader among them. I don't know yet if I'm ready to able to appreciate the aroma and flavor of such tobaccos. Perhaps they will go better with cooler weather. (Where I live, there's only 3 or 3.5 months to go until that *might* happen.)

Last edited:
- Robert McConnell Oriental Square (Durbar inspired)
- Robert McConnell Barking Road (221b Bakerstreet inspired)
- Peterson Nightcap (former Dunhill Nightcap)

I would also try Peterson MyMixture 965 (former Dunhill 965) and Robert McConnell Marylebone (965 inspired).

Samuel Gawith's Skiff Mixture is another good one, as is Rattray's Black Mallory. Presbyterian Mixture also These are all in the same general category of the Dunhill blends you've been smoking.

How easy/difficult is it to source US pipe tobacco in Denmark? There are plenty to recommend but I don't want to suggest something you can't obtain.

Samuel Gawith's Skiff Mixture is another good one, as is Rattray's Black Mallory. Presbyterian Mixture also These are all in the same general category of the Dunhill blends you've been smoking.

How easy/difficult is it to source US pipe tobacco in Denmark? There are plenty to recommend but I don't want to suggest something you can't obtain.
+1 on Skiff Mixture which I found much rounder and fuller than Squadron Leader

[QUOTE="Salty O'Rourke, post: 11434715, member: 37940"

How easy/difficult is it to source US pipe tobacco in Denmark? There are plenty to recommend but I don't want to suggest something you can't obtain.[/QUOTE]

I live less than a mile from danishpipeshop.com, which is pretty well stocked, so feel free to suggest [emoji4]

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
If you only smoke a pipe once a week, and like Nightcap, I’d wander over and buy a tin of Peterson Nightcap, and be done with it.

For some budget alternatives Peter Stokabyes bulk english blends are quite good. Their proper english, english luxury, and english oriental supreme are delicious. I am quite fond of the english oriental supreme blend 👍.

For some budget alternatives Peter Stokabyes bulk english blends are quite good. Their proper english, english luxury, and english oriental supreme are delicious. I am quite fond of the english oriental supreme blend 👍.
I had just come in to suggest Peter Stokkebye. Those blends are as a rule incredible values.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Hi,

I am relatively new to pipe smoking, and only smoke 1-2 a week. I have tried some of the Dunhill tobaccos before they were discontinued. My favorite is Durbar, but I also like 221b Bakerstreet and Nightcap. What would you suggest I try, that is in the same vicinity?

A further reflection. Since you are a once a week piper, that allows some other possibilities that might not otherwise work as well as daily smokes. A single tin of higher end tobacco should go a very long way with you. So price should not be as high a consideration.

And since you liked Durbar, another in that neighborhood (but not necessarily next door) to give a whirl might be the new version of Bengal Slices. That’s a high quality crossover with a little cavendish and a mild licorice flavor with good complexity that you might enjoy. Another on that same street is Seattle Pipe’s Plum Pudding, which is probably a nip more neutral tasting. Whether those are available in your locale I do not know. Anything else I can think of in that genre would be from a small-batch mom and pop blender and unlikely to be sold outside the US.

As a newer pipe smoker, these would not normally be choices I‘d recommend. But if you liked Durbar and Nightcap out of the gate …

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
English blends I don't know much about. The Match Walnut I purchased earlier this year was pleasant, as were the samples of Englishes Whisky sent me -- Squadron Leader among them. I don't know yet if I'm ready to able to appreciate the aroma and flavor of such tobaccos. Perhaps they will go better with cooler weather. (Where I live, there's only 3 or 3.5 months to go until that *might* happen.)
I think of them as cool weather fare. They have a bit of that campfire aroma about them that is associated with Fall and Winter.

Top Bottom