What's new

Pipe tobacco recommendations for a cigar smoker?

I've not smoked a pipe since the mid-90's, but I've been a cigar smoker for nearly three years now. With the cold weather on it's way, I decided to revisit pipes, as it's much easier to enjoy a 20-minute bowl of tobacco than an hour-long cigar standing out in the cold. Yesterday, I stopped by my local tobacconist and purchased a Missouri Meerschaum and a ounce of loose tobacco. I told the salesman I prefer full-bodied cigars, and asked for a recommendation based on that. He directed me to try their Black Cavenish blend, so I took his advice and left with an ounce. Smoked my first bowl of it yesterday evening. Long story short, it smelled marvelous... but was virtually tasteless, even after removing the paper filter in the pipe.

This considered, might someone recommend a tobacco flavorful enough to peak the interest of a full-bodied cigar smoker? Is there such a thing? Thank you in advance...

I wouldn't recommend an aromatic tobacco to a cigar smoker, they don't taste like they smell.

My recommendations...

Key Largo by GL Pease; it's an English blend with cigar leaf blended in.

My favorite English blend... 3 Oaks Syrian... It's just so so delicious!

Two great VAs you might like, Gawith Full Virginia and GL Pease Union Square.

I've probably smoked 150 different blends so if you have a question, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Peterson Irish Flake
Peterson University Flake
Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake
Samuel Gawith 1792
Escudo
Cornell and Diehl Exhausted Rooster

If you want to try some Aromatics check out Boswells they only sell their blends in their own shop and don't have a online store but if you call them they well be more than a pleasure to deal with and they have the best aromatic tobacco out there IMO.

Try Samuel Gawith Full Virgina Flake or Reiner's Long Golden Flake. They'r both full flavoured and unadulterated with casing.

I'm an ex-cigarette smoker, and a cigar smoker, who recently took up pipes.

I really like Davidoff English Mixture, AC Peterson's Escudo Navy Deluxe, and Gawith's Balkan Flake.

Dan's Blue Note is also nice for a light, not overpowering, aromatic.

I checked my local tobacconist, and unfortunately they do not carry Virginia Full Irish Flake. I explained that I was a cigar smoker, and asked what they they might recommend from their current inventory. I left with this:
proxy.php

Ashton's Artisan's Blend. It took me about one pipeful to realize this tobacco wasn't for me. In fact, it has me questioning if pipe smoking in general is for me, as this has been my second unsuccessful attempt in finding a flavorful and pleasing tobacco. Upon opening the tin, I was overwhelmed with a striking smokey aroma... but not in a good way. It smelled like mesquite or hickory, great if you're smoking meats, but not as pleasing for pipes. Truly a disappointment, as I paid nearly $12 for a tin that I will likely never open again.

Oh, well... live and learn.

I'm not a cigar smoker (apart from an occasional one at "special events") and have only been smoking pipes for just over 3 months...so I'm not a good source for recommendations.

However, before you buy any more baccy, check out TobaccoReviews. It's not ideal for browsing by variety, but if you know a blend's name or maker you can get a pretty wide spread of opinions and reviews on each.

Unfortunately most tobacconists push the aromatic side of pipe tobacco on the new pipe smokers which can end in bad result. They genereally smell good, but that smell hardly ever tends to make it to taste.

The smokey part of the blend was the latakia in it. Did you smoke any of it? If you haven't, at least try some.

Some people have mentioned blends that contain cigar leaf, which would be a good suggestion. Gawith and Hoggart makes some good blends that you would probably like. They make what is called rope tobacco, which is spun like a rope. Generally they are stonger than the average pipe tobacco. They do take a bit more time to prep it, but for me it is worth it. Flakes can be strong as well, but require less prep. Just fold and stuff it. Those generally smoke better on the dryer side though.

one last note. Pipe tobacco has much variety, there is something out there for your taste buds.

Last edited:
The smokey part of the blend was the latakia in it. Did you smoke any of it? If you haven't, at least try some.

Yes, I did. Unlike the aromatic black cavendish I initially tried, the Ashton was indeed flavor. Unfortunately, I simply didn't care for it.

now i dont know a thing about pipes, so dont laugh at me.

but if you prefer the cigars couldnt you cut up the cigar and use that in the pipe? chop the cigar into little rings and blend that up?

Now like i said i dont know anything about pipes, so please excuse my ignorance lol

You may want to stick with the Virginias rather than the English blends, I suspect the smoke note you mentioned was the Latakia tobacco in the mix.

Unfortunately the brick and mortars are not your friend in this search.

now i dont know a thing about pipes, so dont laugh at me.

but if you prefer the cigars couldnt you cut up the cigar and use that in the pipe? chop the cigar into little rings and blend that up?

Now like i said i dont know anything about pipes, so please excuse my ignorance lol

Admittedly, I've considered it. I'd wager cigar tobacco is terribly dry compared to pipe tobacco.

Admittedly, I've considered it. I'd wager cigar tobacco is terribly dry compared to pipe tobacco.

I don't know how moist pipe tobacco is but cigars are quite moist in the middle cuz of the humidity.

Might be something to just try with a cheap cigar.

Pipe tobacco is generally 13-18% humidity. Cigars are generally kept in humidors typically around 68-74% humidity. I'm guessing that pipe tobacco is more dry than cigars. Hopefully you enjoy at least one or two blends I sent to you.

I checked my local tobacconist, and unfortunately they do not carry Virginia Full Irish Flake. I explained that I was a cigar smoker, and asked what they they might recommend from their current inventory. I left with this:
proxy.php

Ashton's Artisan's Blend. It took me about one pipeful to realize this tobacco wasn't for me. In fact, it has me questioning if pipe smoking in general is for me, as this has been my second unsuccessful attempt in finding a flavorful and pleasing tobacco. Upon opening the tin, I was overwhelmed with a striking smokey aroma... but not in a good way. It smelled like mesquite or hickory, great if you're smoking meats, but not as pleasing for pipes. Truly a disappointment, as I paid nearly $12 for a tin that I will likely never open again.

Oh, well... live and learn.

Do not give up on pipe smoking after 2 unsuccessful attempts at finding a good tobac. There are hundreds of tobaccos out there and the one I recommended in my last post is really good.

You will never really find one that mimics a cigar perfectly and as happens with all pipe smokers, tastes will change. Just like cigars, different tatstes for each different cigar. I love Drew Estates Dirt Torpedoes and Fuente Best Sellers but they are vastly different cigars.

Pipe tobacco is generally 13-18% humidity. Cigars are generally kept in humidors typically around 68-74% humidity. I'm guessing that pipe tobacco is more dry than cigars. Hopefully you enjoy at least one or two blends I sent to you.

I think you are confusing moisture content with relative humidity.

Most pipe tobacco are packed with a moisture content of 12-16% which equates to about 60-68% relative humidity.

I store my cigars at 65-67% RH which isn't that much more than my pipe tobacco.

I concur with plexibass. There are an insane amounts of pipe tobacco out there. There should be at least something for you. I hope you at least like one of the blends I sent you, at least a little bit.

I think you are confusing moisture content with relative humidity.

Most pipe tobacco are packed with a moisture content of 12-16% which equates to about 60-68% relative humidity.

I store my cigars at 65-67% RH which isn't that much more than my pipe tobacco.

oops. you are right. I forgot to add the extra step.

Top Bottom