What's new

Pipe tobacco and cellar temperatures

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So coming from the cigar world, temperature seems to be a factor in aging tobacco. For long term storage there are arguments of keeping the temp from 60-65F. Of course, on Cuban cigars you also want to try to keep your temp below 70F to prevent beetles hatching unless you have frozen the boxes.

Are there any steadfast rules with pipe tobacco? I was thinking of storing pipe tobacco, sealed in mason jars, in the garage. Now there is not temperature control and obviously it would get temperature swings depending on the season.

Are pipe tobaccos as fickle as cigars, or more resilient?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Like anything else stable temps are always better. My philosophy is as long as the swings are gradual I am good with it.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I wouldn't store in a garage. @Kentos is right that temperature swings are one of the main problems. Those rubber gaskets on tins and jars will expand and contract with the temperature and seals can be compromised. Also, its best to store your tobacco in a cool dark place, just like wine. Dark really matters most for glass jars, but also because direct sun can raise the temperature unevenly by heating some surfaces and not others, which gets to the seal failure issue. Also, don't store your tobacco in a really moist or humid environment, as that can lead to the development of rust on tins and lids. Best case scenario is you have an interior closet or cool dry basement you can store your cellar in.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Is that artificial light as well, or just sunlight?

Mostly I’d be concerned about sunlight. And I’ll add that you can age tobacco in lots of conditions, and just try to get as close to the ideal as you can without too much trouble, and don’t sweat the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom