What's new

Pipe sweetener for cheap

What do you folks use for pipe sweetener, if you do? I've been using vanilla extract from the grocery store, but at $4-5 for 2 oz., it was not paying off. Today I bought one of the mini-flasks of Cane Rum at Walmart: $1.97 for 3.38 oz. This may last me a while!

For deep cleaning and dissolving nasties - pure Austrian rocket fuel ;)
B67D1FFB-8C02-44E5-B5CF-68A256B9F0B8.jpeg
It will get rid of the varnish and staining as well if one is not careful…

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
High proof Everclear. One fifty proof or better (prefer 190). Put it in an empty airline booze bottle for use.

Others like Bourbon or rum. But those will add more flavoring to the pipe, for good or for bad.

The other one is alcohol based mouthwash.

The commercial sweeteners are the most expensive, and some might just be repackaged mouthwash.

I sweeten pipes very sparingly. Others treat a pipe as a surgical instrument. YMMV.

High proof Everclear. One fifty proof or better (prefer 190). Put it in an empty airline booze bottle for use.

Others like Bourbon or rum. But those will add more flavoring to the pipe, for good or for bad.

The other one is alcohol based mouthwash.

The commercial sweeteners are the most expensive, and some might just be repackaged mouthwash.

I sweeten pipes very sparingly. Others treat a pipe as a surgical instrument. YMMV.
I have alcohol-based mouthwash, Dr. Tichenor's, 70% alcohol. But it has a strong peppermint aroma. I'd rather a little rum in my pipes.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 on Everclear, but so far I have mostly used it on funky estate pipes, for the salt and alcohol treatment. I'll occasionally swab out my regularly smoked pipes with some Everclear soaked pipe cleaners if they are too funky. I keep a small jelly jar with Everclear in it to dip pipe cleaners in as needed, but the "airline bottle" is a good idea! In our area, Everclear is usually available at discount tobacco shops if it is not available where you normally buy liquor, but I've seen it at most places that sell alcohol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom