What's new

Pipe smoking

So I think I would like to try pipe smoking. I have never smoked anything befor in my life. That's why I am not sure. Cigars and cigarettes don't apeal to me. But I do enjoy the smell of the pipe tabacco. I just started looking into the subject. I haven't found what I would call a decent website on the subject how do I know if it's for me? Any help and advice would be apericated .

I occasionally smoke a pipe, never ciggies. My first bit of advice would be not to even start!

Second, if you still want to, get over to smokersforum where you will find all the info you could ever need from a very friendly bunch much like here. Most of the members there are American and Brits with a fair international smattering as well.

Gareth

I started smoking a pipe last winter... got a wild hair and remembered the smell of pipe tobacco in my grandfathers house. I wouldn't say I'm a smoker as I only smoke a bowl or two now and again as the weather cools.. don't enjoy it as much in the summer. There are a number of smoking forums where you can pick up the basics on choosing a pipe and packing it for a good burn. I just went with a cheap briar and a few corn cob pipes along with a couple mild aromatics. I have no interest in cigarettes (hate the smell) or cigars, or chewing tobacco... just an occassional pipe.

I wouldn't lump pipe smoking with cigars or worse cigarettes...totally different kettle of fish.

It can get pretty expensive (but nowhere near as cigars and cigarettes). If you're going to start, start it right first time.....get a decent second hand Dunhill pipe (so you can re-sell at a good price if you decide to quit) and for tobacco, go for orientals and latakia.

I would also suggest a cob. Anything by Missouri Meerschaum that catches your eye. There is no "break in" period for cobs, and they are inexpensive. So, if you find you do not enjoy a pipe your investment will be minimal. After each bowl run a pipe cleaner through and allow your pipe a day of rest to dry out between bowls. As for tobacco I would recommend Frog Morton by McClelland. This is a very mild and cool burning tobacco. I found that most aromatic blends burn hot and bite the tongue if not handled with caution which can be a turn off to a new smoker. Good luck to you.

I would second the advice of others here and say don't even start. I used to smoke a pipe regularly and finally quit after trying to for years. No, it's not as dangerous as cigarette smoking, but it can still cause you dental problems and mouth or tongue cancer, so please think carefully about your decision. Also, while pipes smell pleasant while you are smoking them, the ashes still stink and the smoke will make you, your house, and most everything in it stink.

Indeed, why start I you never smoked anything. I smoke some cigarettes very occasionally when going out, and sometimes a cigar when drinking whiskey with friends and hence recently bought a pipe etc.
But if you never smoked you won't like it, at least not at first, you don't feel the want for nicotine once in a while, so why? OK, it smells nice, for others, outdoors. You will smell of smoke afterwards just as with all other smoking products, your clothes stink, and you mouth tastes like an ashtray, oh and did I mention it's dangerous?

But anyway, I might sound somewhat like a hypocrite now :001_smile, of course, and that's partially right. But if you really want to pick it up, try some mild cigars and make sure you can stand smoking at all. And only if it works, start buying the pipe stuff (pipe, tobacco, pipe tool, cleaners, filters if it's a filtered pipe); packing, smoking, cleaning, it's a nice ritual.

If your considering picking it up as a hobby, I will second the advice already given to start out on the cheap.

$5.00 for a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe.
$4.00 to $10.00 for tobacco (I would recommend a lightly cased aromatic).
$2.00 for a Czech pipe tool.
$2.00 for pipe cleaners.
$1.00 for a brick of matches or a disposable lighter.

For $15.00 to $20.00 you're all set up for an immediately rewarding, cool burning smoke provided you take the time to do some research on packing and smoking techniques (essentially, pack loose on the bottom and tighter--not tight, on the top. Smoke slowly. Just "sip" the tobacco.)

As with anything, patience and prior knowledge is rewarded. Good luck with it! I've finally admitted to myself that I now prefer a good pipe over a cigar. Never thought I'd say that!

Or try one of those aromatic tobacco sampler sets. Gives you about five different flavours to get an idea of what's around.

I've been a cigar (some nice cubans are like your first girlfriend...:wink: )and pipe smoker some years of my life but i quit..i stopped at time.

If you have 15 and don't know what to do i understand...son, don't do it! If you are a regular and reasonable man...why to get an addiction!?:confused: Is bad to your health and wallet you will see...

But freedom of choice is a wonderful thing!!

Raven, unless you inhale the smoke (which you shouldn't), pipe and cigar smoke is relatively non-addictive. I do agree with these guys that your wallet will indeed suffer tho. I find both pipes and cigar to be quite relaxing and therapeutic. I highly recommend.

I would recommend starting with an inexpensive pipe, maybe corn cob, and a small sampler of tobacco. You won't have invested much money and you will tell if you like it or not.

Good luck on your new journey!

DL

Ok so you have me thinking and still undecided as to weather I should or not. I don't want to get cancer, some of you talk about smoking a pipe to be anadiction wel I am 38 years young and havn't been addicted to anything yet so I don't feel that I will become addicted. On the subject of addiction isn't that why we are all here in the first place because we are addicted to wet shaving? If not we would be happy with the trillion blade razor and the goo in a can.

So the reason I wanted to start in the first place is because I liked the smell of the tobacco if I don't smoke is there a way I can duplicate the smell?? Incensence or anything ?

I smoke a pipe regularly now, and I can safely say I am not addicted. I have gone a week or more without a pipe and not even thought about it. What you choose to do is up to you, as you have said yourself you are a 38 year old man, but I can see no real wrong in just enjoying what takes your fancy in life and letting the killjoy/anti everything lobby argue themselves into oblivion.

Just my opinion please don't take it to heart anyone, I am just saying what I feel.

No offense taken here.

I wouldn't feel the way do if I had not been the kind of smoker I was. I would smoke one to two bowl fulls of tobacco daily and I could keep a pipe lit and in my mouth for more than an hour without relighting. I was not a casual smoker, no matter how much I tried. I have know several that are and can do that, I just wasn't one of those people.

I think the definitive book on pipe smoking is The Ultimate Pipe Book by Richard Carleton Hacker. I suggest you read it first. So much of the pipe experience is in what type of pipe, how you pack a bowl, how to avoid tongue bite, etc. I'm afraid if you buy a corncob pipe, some cheap tobacco and don't know how to pack or smoke it, you will not really be discovering what pipe smoking is all about. Not to suggest you spend a ton of money but if you're really interested, at least give it a fair shot.

Top Bottom