What's new

Pipe Smoking Questions

I recently found a couple of tins of Prince Albert of my great-grandfather's, and who knows how old they are! So, I've been doing some research into pipe's and it sounds like a hobby I might could really get into.

I've read up on the different pipe materials --- briars and cobs is probably what I will probably be using. All of the different leaves, cuts, and blends is somewhat overwhelming for me, but I'm sure I can learn.

I probably won't be starting this journey until after classes start in the fall. The reason for this is that I really want to buy my first couple of pipes from a tobacconist, and there are not any within an hour of me. I will be moving to Lubbock, and I'm fairly certain they have a couple of shops.

My questions start here... First, how do I go about choosing my first pipe? What stem material, acrylic or vulcanite? Also, what tools besides a lighter, tamper, and pipe cleaners would I need?

And finally, what would, in your opinion, be a good tobacco to start out on?

I'd buy 2-3 different Missouri Meerschaum Cob Pipes in different sizes. Hopefully, the tobacconist will carry some of the larger ones. I've had great 90min smokes from the smaller ones, but it takes time to develop technique. Cobs are great for that and they don't require any breaking in. Once you know how to pack, light, and have proper pacing down, then you can purchase a factory second briar or a nice estate (used) briar pipe.

Better to learn on a cob before you risk harming a briar. Plus, cobs are wonderful smokers. I know many pipe makers that end up smoking cobs instead of the pipes they keep for personal use. You can always get a fancy stem made for a cob if you don't like the one it comes with. I fear that many a beginning pipe smoker has quit the hobby because they tried to learn on a briar that wasn't broken in.

Just say no to lighters. Pipes should be lit with long wood matches. Most places sell "cigar matches" that are great for the purpose.

I'm primarily a non-aromatic smoker. Generally straight VA and Carter Hall, although I do occasionally dabble with an Oriental or English. I'm not a fan of flavored or aromatic tobaccos, so I can speak to them. I think Carter Hall is what you should start on. It is a nice easy smoke and simple to pack. If you search the boards, you'll find recommendations from various people in different categories. It is good to try examples from the various categories to find out what you like.

Like any new hobby, the best thing to do is go slow. Master the basics first. Then start to experiment.

Gotta love B&B. :thumbup1:

Edit: James, the first first step is to get a Brown Leaf badge, just to keep everyone out of trouble.

Last edited:
I think the first step is to PM me your mailing address.

Thank you so much for the offer, but I still live with my parents haha. That is the other reason why I am waiting until after summer.:blushing:

They were not too warm when I mentioned the idea of pipe smoking, so it would probably be best to do so once I get into college. On the bright side, it allows me to do months of research!

I agree with the above. A cob is a great way to figure out if pipes are for you, without too much out of pocket expense.

Once you figure that out, then take that trip to the tobacconist and get something that calls to you.

And nothing wrong with starting out with grandpa's Prince Albert (as long as the tin was sealed). Give you a starting point to compare other tobaccos to.

I agree with the above. A cob is a great way to figure out if pipes are for you, without too much out of pocket expense.

Once you figure that out, then take that trip to the tobacconist and get something that calls to you.

And nothing wrong with starting out with grandpa's Prince Albert (as long as the tin was sealed). Give you a starting point to compare other tobaccos to.

I am definitely considering a cob. Everything I've read about them has been positive! I've looked at a few MM pipes, and the Country Gentleman stands out to me. Does it have the hardwood plug in the bottom?

As for the vintage Prince Albert, both tins are unfortunately empty, save for a few dry ribbons in the bottom. They still smell quite nice though!

I am thinking about starting on a few "drugstore" blends, that way I can see if I like it before spending money on premium brands. Does this sound like a good plan?

While matches are nice and work well, there's nothing wrong with careful use of a soft flame lighter. Good old basic Bic will work just fine as you are starting out.

As for tobacco... There are a couple "drugstore" blends I like, plenty more I wouldn't recommend starting with. Many of them tend to smoke a bit harsh, hot, and bitey for the inexperienced pipe smoker. If there is a tobacconist where you land, look at the "premium" bulk tobaccos every shop invariably has. They are generally inexpensive, you can usually buy as little as 1/4 oz to sample them, and for the same money as one pouch of drugstore, you can sample several different ones. Basically I'd suggest picking up a Virginia/perique blend, a basic middle of the road English style, and a basic like vanilla aromatic to start. That lets you try 3 of the basic main types/styles.

Thank you so much for the offer, but I still live with my parents haha. That is the other reason why I am waiting until after summer.:blushing:

They were not too warm when I mentioned the idea of pipe smoking, so it would probably be best to do so once I get into college. On the bright side, it allows me to do months of research!

Get a P.O. Box and then PM him that address. We're the BL, there is always a way!

I am definitely considering a cob. Everything I've read about them has been positive! I've looked at a few MM pipes, and the Country Gentleman stands out to me. Does it have the hardwood plug in the bottom?

As for the vintage Prince Albert, both tins are unfortunately empty, save for a few dry ribbons in the bottom. They still smell quite nice though!

I am thinking about starting on a few "drugstore" blends, that way I can see if I like it before spending money on premium brands. Does this sound like a good plan?

I'd avoid drugstore aromatics starting out. You'll burn the ever loving hell out of your tongue and it'll discourage you more than anything.

If you go the drugstore route, stick to blends like the non-flavored Carter Hall and Prince Albert. They're not really complex or anything, but they're beginner friendly burley blends that you can hone your technique on.

The big thing about smoking a pipe is learning how to pack it, light it, and then figuring out the proper cadence. You want it to be at the point where it's about to go out, rather than scorching hot.

I'd start off with a Meershaum pipe and you can get some cheap priced ones on Ebay. I say this because you can smoke the strongest tobacco and switch to a mild one without affecting the taste of the tobacco. And a Dr Graibow pipe is an inexpensive pipe and they smoke like a champ. But like all Briar pipes, you want to stick with the same tobacco otherwise it can hurt the taste. I hope that makes sense.

And if you on in the Houston area, the best place for pipes is called The Briarshop. Plenty of house tobaccos as well as tin tobacco.

Last edited:
What's a Brown Leaf badge, and did I ever get one? LOL

The Brown Leaf badge is basically an acknowledgement that you are of age and legally able to purchase tobacco. It's under contributions (it's $1 forever), and once you get it, it opens up the Stock Exchange subforum, which allows you to trade or PIF tobacco.

The Brown Leaf badge is basically an acknowledgement that you are of age and legally able to purchase tobacco. It's under contributions (it's $1 forever), and once you get it, it opens up the Stock Exchange subforum, which allows you to trade or PIF tobacco.
Where is the contributions link/tab located? Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom