What's new

Pipe smoking in fiction (novels, TV, movies)

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I had utterly forgotten that. Possibly because I haven't seen the second film in a lot of years.

(By the way: The real third film, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, is terrific and a fitting capper to the trilogy.)
I happened to be watching II last night, so that's how I caught it. I never noticed it before. I even got up and stood next to the TV to get a better look.

I also watched Afterlife last night. It really was the third movie we all wanted. I'll freely admit to enjoying the "other" third movie, but it wasn't the same.

Abe Weissman rocks a pipe, even got chased out of his favorite tobacconist in this season of Marvelous Mrs Maisel

1650065093142.jpeg

Not sure if this was posted, but my wife has been watching Night Court re-runs and I just happened to be walking by and noticed that John Larroquette's character "Dan Fielding" was enjoying a pipe.

1652477337800.png

In an early episode of Cannon, William Conrad in one scene holds and uses a straight pipe for emphasis. No idea what shape it might have been. This was from 1972 or so, when it was not yet a sin to be seen with smoking materials.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
In an early episode of Cannon, William Conrad in one scene holds and uses a straight pipe for emphasis. No idea what shape it might have been. This was from 1972 or so, when it was not yet a sin to be seen with smoking materials.
I read an article somewhere about someone who had bought his pipes.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Probably more of a cigar smokers’ film than for pipes, but there was at least one lovely London-made straight billiard puffing away in a grand scene of gentlemen smoking and enjoying port around a huge table, in one of my favorite movies, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. I somehow found the time to watch this classic yet again this past weekend.

How do I know it was a London-made (and most certainly a straight grain, too)? Because it was The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. Those familiar with that movie will understand.

This is a movie that becomes more poignant with age. There is a little Clive Candy in all of us as the years pass by.

Connor Swindells puffs away on a large straight billiard in the first two episodes of SAS Rogue Heroes. I haven't watched the subsequent eps yet, but it's a very well done show on the origin of the SAS.

Two more anagrams you need to know if you want to check it out: BBC and VPN...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm having way more fun with this than a man has a right to!

I have my Sherlock Holmes collection complete to my satisfaction with the Peterson Tobacco jar and Pipe Rack I 3D printed.

20221117_190607.jpg

I have my Mark Twain selection where I think it needs to be, with the pipe rack and Riverboat 3D printed.

20221117_190754.jpg

My Peterson 80s Dracula now has a nice home in his 3D printed coffin pipe stand.

20221117_190849.jpg

I have my Peterson 03 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde waiting for a new pipe stand as soon as it comes out of the printer.

Image1.jpg

I've got a couple of pipes I've been looking to get for quite some time on the way, a nice Imp bent apple Meerschaum, and a WDC Wellington flare stem. Though the Imp is a copy, these were the pipes that Lee Van Cleef smoked in several films, most notably "For a Few Dollars More".

2.jpg
1.jpg

So, I need a little help brainstorming pipe stands for these two. Any Ideas?

I'm having way more fun with this than a man has a right to!

I have my Sherlock Holmes collection complete to my satisfaction with the Peterson Tobacco jar and Pipe Rack I 3D printed.

View attachment 1558430

I have my Mark Twain selection where I think it needs to be, with the pipe rack and Riverboat 3D printed.

View attachment 1558433

My Peterson 80s Dracula now has a nice home in his 3D printed coffin pipe stand.

View attachment 1558437

I have my Peterson 03 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde waiting for a new pipe stand as soon as it comes out of the printer.

View attachment 1558438

I've got a couple of pipes I've been looking to get for quite some time on the way, a nice Imp bent apple Meerschaum, and a WDC Wellington flare stem. Though the Imp is a copy, these were the pipes that Lee Van Cleef smoked in several films, most notably "For a Few Dollars More".

View attachment 1558441View attachment 1558442

So, I need a little help brainstorming pipe stands for these two. Any Ideas?
Phil, I remember a couple months ago you showed us that large cabinet you acquired to keep tobaccos. Now it all ties in....
And yes, you are having too much fun!:biggrin1: Looks great.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil, I remember a couple months ago you showed us that large cabinet you acquired to keep tobaccos. Now it all ties in....
And yes, you are having too much fun!:biggrin1: Looks great.
That cabinet is completely full to the brim now. Spill over is in a dresser and a cabinet in my office! :lol1:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My first thought would have been a holster. Or a somehow have the pipe's shape cut out of a printed Colt .44.
I was thinking maybe the pocket watch, but the pocket watch was just in "For a Few Dollars More", and doesn't fit with the Bad character Wellington from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".
I have a figure of Lee Van Cleef I have to figure out how to split up so I can print it without supports, as the characters are very similar across the two Cleef films of the trilogy. Just have to add some pipe stands on either side of the base.

Image1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom