What's new

Pipe smoking holding steady in UK

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I stumbled across a PDF online, which shows tobacco duty receipts for the various tobacco forms. In it, there is a comparison between the percentage of duty from each tobacco form, between 2009/2010 and 2019/2020. Unsurprisingly, cigarettes carry the bulk of the duties levied, but dropped from 91.5% in 2009 to 81.5% in 2019. The increase that took up that slack was hand rolling tobacco, which went from 7.2% to 17.4%. Cigars dropped slightly from 1.0% to 0.8%, but "Other" which includes pipe, shag, and chewing tobacco, held a steady 0.3% of total receipts over those two periods. The duty revenue has dropped from £30m to £24m, so there is still a decline in popularity/sales, but as a percentage of the overall, it's still 0.3%. It goes to show just how much of a minority pipe smokers are here, and I was actually surprised to see cigars being several times the popularity... or at least, raising several times the amount of duty.

No nasal snuff shown on those figures, as there is no duty levied against it, and so no monies raised.

I don't know how it is done in the UK, but in Germany also Sisha-/Hookah-Tobaccos are subsumised under pipe tobacco, which leads to wrong conclusions about the comsumption of real pipe tobacco, which is still declining.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't know how it is done in the UK, but in Germany also Sisha-/Hookah-Tobaccos are subsumised under pipe tobacco, which leads to wrong conclusions about the comsumption of real pipe tobacco, which is still declining.

Yup. That "Other" classification which amounts to 0.3%, includes pipe, shag, chewing tobaccos, hookah, dhoka, snus, and any other tobacco consumption that isn't nasal snuff, cigs, cigars, and hand rolled. So there's not even enough pipe smokers to give them their own entry on the list.

Top Bottom