What's new

Pipe smoking and wet shaving - an equal mindset?

Hey guys,
I'm new here and one of the reasons why I joined this forum is, that there are discussions on pipe smoking and on shaving with traditional razors.
So I thought it would be nice to discuss the similarities of both rituals, just for fun.
First ideas that come to me are, that both need experience and preparation.
Loading the bowl might be like making your lather, if it's not done right, you don't enjoy the rest of the process, so you need to be conscious during the whole process (Samurai style )
But also smoking the pipe needs a relaxed approach: when I'm smoking a good pipe, I let the pipe do the work for me (sounds familiar to wet shavers?). I usually breath through my nose and let the pipe itself do the rest. A good razor seems to need a similar mindset: you should use a minimum of pressure (= light breathing) and only guide the blade over your face, as if it's shaving its own shadow.
Are there other similarities one could come up with? Or is it all just a very silly idea of mine?

I remain clean shaven with DE razors even though I enjoy pipes. I think subconsciously they both recall a time when folks actually had time to enjoy such things.
I don't know when the pipe smoking/beard growing correlation began, but it's incredibly prevalent now.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I remain clean shaven with DE razors even though I enjoy pipes. I think subconsciously they both recall a time when folks actually had time to enjoy such things.
I don't know when the pipe smoking/beard growing correlation began, but it's incredibly prevalent now.
I am just wondering how many of us have tweed sports coats :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
More likely to wear a cardigan or flannel shirt. It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood.....

Top Bottom