What's new

Pipe shapes & various tobaccos

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Wow! That's some great info!
I was just looking at the ashtrays with the knobs. I likely would've made the mistake of tapping a hot bowl into one at some point too.
I may open up the back door in the laundry room to try my luck back there with my wife. It will be a tough go at trying to convince her to let me smoke inside, but it will be worth a try. I think she views all tobacco equally, and not in a very good light. Her grandmother developed throat cancer from second hand smoke (possibly), and that continues to be her driving force behind her outlook on smoking. Time will tell.....
My wife likes to can, so large jars aren't going to be a problem, although I will have to invest in some smaller ones.
I think I'm going to add a shelf or two in my "junk" room & slowly fill them up. I think that may be the way to go!

If your Mrs. is the homey type, then she may be a candle-burner. If you notice any Yankee Candle bags hiding around the house, then you know she is.

You let her know that those sweet smelling candle flames toss off a lot more soot and particulates than your pipe does. Bad ones.

Mrs. Columbo didn’t believe me about that. Until the day we had to repaint one of the rooms, and we had to scrub the ceiling down with TSP to get all the soot off it. I didn’t make Mrs. Columbo scrub those ceilings, because that’s not what gentlemen do. But Mrs. Columbo now only burns candles with AA batteries in them.

And the other gentleman is right. They always know. Mrs. Columbo is a better detective around the house than I am. Best to be open and honest about it.

She is a Yankee Candle/Scentsy user, so that may be my lucky break.
Let the crusade begin!!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The tobacco may smell good, but not the pipes, imo anyways.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The pipe drawer needs some rearranging. I keep freshly smoked pipes out for at least 3 days before returning them to the drawer, so before I know it they are all jumbled up. Ideally I want a display cabinet for them with every pipe having their own space.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
My goodness! You have an entire pipe store there!

Someone likes the rusticated ones.

Holy cow!! That is a very impressive collection! I'll probably end up where you are one of these days, if I'm lucky.

That is just....wow! I can see myself owning that many at some point, but I just can't imagine rotating them all. I'm just in awe at this point.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It’s a sickness. Very fun and rewarding, but a sickness nonetheless .

I mostly smoke straight virginias (VA) and english blends. They each have their set of pipes. The reason is, I want to taste the subtle virginias without any latakia ghosting.

Any new pipe will be tested and broken in with VAs. If it smokes it well, then It stays a VA pipe. Otherwise it is for english blends, which aren’t as particular.

I also have a couple of pipes for everything else.

I will say that most of my dedicated VA pipes have smaller bowls.

I mostly smoke straight virginias (VA) and english blends. They each have their set of pipes. The reason is, I want to taste the subtle virginias without any latakia ghosting.

Any new pipe will be tested and broken in with VAs. If it smokes it well, then It stays a VA pipe. Otherwise it is for english blends, which aren’t as particular.

I also have a couple of pipes for everything else.

I will say that most of my dedicated VA pipes have smaller bowls.

VA and English blends will be my next try. I'm looking into some pipes right now to try them out with. I'll keep an eye out for the smaller bowls for the VA blends.

Top Bottom