What's new

Pipe screens, activated carbon and you.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Kirsten pipes don't seem to need a screen. I dropped just enough to fully cover the bottom of the bowl. It's nice...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Half way through a bowl of Vintage Syrian and I am yet not convinced it removes flavor, albeit this only smoke #3.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Some DarkStar in the radiator. This time I can tell that distinct taste that DarkStar has is less pronounced. I am going to smoke another bowl tomorrow sans carbon to see.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Trying this again with a deeper bowl, drier tobacco and almost a year more of pipe smoking experience.

So far I’m at about the 5 minute mark after the false light and the smoke is cool, dry and flavorful. It’s HOTW and frankly it never tasted this sweet. At the same time the sharp grassy notes seem toned down a bit, and the Perique seems more plummy and fruit like.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I like the various filters . . . don't need them but like them.

OK . . . to be more specific.

Corn cob MM pipes have the Medico filters . . . well look at them . . . kinda rolled up paper yet they catch a lot of stuff
Savinelli - little triangular bits of balsa wood. Sure . . . cools down the smoke a bit
Rattray's ... little carbon filters. 9mm. Do I love their pipes or do I like them because of the filter. Not 100%certain.

I'll smoke a pipe and think on it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I like the various filters . . . don't need them but like them.

OK . . . to be more specific.

Corn cob MM pipes have the Medico filters . . . well look at them . . . kinda rolled up paper yet they catch a lot of stuff
Savinelli - little triangular bits of balsa wood. Sure . . . cools down the smoke a bit
Rattray's ... little carbon filters. 9mm. Do I love their pipes or do I like them because of the filter. Not 100%certain.

I'll smoke a pipe and think on it.

I’m halfway down and it’s still a good smoke. Definitely a different feel from the in stem filters as the draw isn’t changed at all. In some ways the taste might be too refined?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I’m halfway down and it’s still a good smoke. Definitely a different feel from the in stem filters as the draw isn’t changed at all. In some ways the taste might be too refined?
Is the HOTW aged? Perique is awful fresh, but gets much better as it ages.

Top Bottom