What's new

Pipe Restorations with Pictures

i have also heard it gets rid of dyes in the wood etc. but i may need to do this- is kosher salt ok and vodka

I have never heard that, or experienced any lightning of color when I have done the treatment. But you should be careful to wipe up the outside of any alcohol.

I think any non-iodized salt like kosher or sea salt is good. I know people prefer higher proof alcohol, but I have used vodka and it does work. Then again, I don't know if it works as well as everclear since I have never had any to try.

I have never heard that, or experienced any lightning of color when I have done the treatment. But you should be careful to wipe up the outside of any alcohol.

I think any non-iodized salt like kosher or sea salt is good. I know people prefer higher proof alcohol, but I have used vodka and it does work. Then again, I don't know if it works as well as everclear since I have never had any to try.
i dont even know where to get everclear- i heard this might crack pipes have you fellows experienced this

Not available everywhere. Illegal in the People's Republic of Californistan, for example. Good thing I picked up an entire 750 before I left Illinois - that should last me more than a few years.

well i am trying it with vodka, i hope it work , IF NO color comes , would it be safe to say the pipe is pretty clean--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------well i tried it ,it sorta works i think the higher grade everclear has a better draw/evap rate

Last edited:
I've been meaning to ask. I got a Stanwell freehand estate pipe. I did the salt and alcohol treatment and it cleaned it up nicely. Slightly polished the stem and the bowl but the rim of the pipe is still kind of dirty. Since it's a freehand it has that uneven hilly top. Anyone have suggestions about polishing or cleaning that rim of the pipe?

Attachments

• $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388626485.096429.jpg
    $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388626485.096429.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 81

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I've been meaning to ask. I got a Stanwell freehand estate pipe. I did the salt and alcohol treatment and it cleaned it up nicely. Slightly polished the stem and the bowl but the rim of the pipe is still kind of dirty. Since it's a freehand it has that uneven hilly top. Anyone have suggestions about polishing or cleaning that rim of the pipe?

Take q-tips moistened with a little saliva, and rub them around the plateau bumps to clean it up. To polish, I'd use something designed for rusticated finishes (I use renaissance wax, but I think halcyon might be the same thing in a pipe friendlier formulation).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Awesome thread. I used to avoid old nasty estate pipes like the plague, but now I want to find a few to restore. Many thanks!
there is something satisfying about taking something that at worst is going to go to the trash heap, or at best be used as a display piece, and returning it to its original glory and purpose.

Awesome thread. I used to avoid old nasty estate pipes like the plague, but now I want to find a few to restore. Many thanks!

It's fun to try, but in the end was not my thing. I did get a couple of my best smoking pipes for cheap, so I'm happy about that. I'm more than impressed by those that have the time and skills to do a good job.

Top Bottom