What's new

Pipe Restoration on a Budget

Looks great! Great job! Spit and alot of scrubbing does pretty good at removing tars. The enzymes can really loosen up the gunk. Wonder if the white specs were from the wax? I've seen some stuff kinda that way with carnauba wax and rustic pipes. Had no idea they made system pipes with standard stems. I always learn something new everyday haha. Sweet pipe and great work!

Thank you for the kind words. The white spots have mostly disappeared, I'm very curious to know what they were. I covered the slightly bigger ones with a brush pen with black ink, applied in tiny, tiny dots.

Nice job! If you decide to do another one. When the outside is in need of restoring, I use a Dremel (rotary tool) with a brass wire brush to clean the rustication. Then dip a stiff toothbrush in alcohol and scrub the rustication. I use "Freiblings" leather dye to re-stain and buff with carnuba wax. Pipe will look like new.

Nice job! If you decide to do another one. When the outside is in need of restoring, I use a Dremel (rotary tool) with a brass wire brush to clean the rustication. Then dip a stiff toothbrush in alcohol and scrub the rustication. I use "Freiblings" leather dye to re-stain and buff with carnuba wax. Pipe will look like new.

I might do this - after I get home, where I have my dremel. Are the high RPMs of the dremel suitable for buffing with Carnauba? I've heard conflicting stories.

I might do this - after I get home, where I have my dremel. Are the high RPMs of the dremel suitable for buffing with Carnauba? I've heard conflicting stories.
It works. Use the lowest setting, and be careful not to put too much pressure or you can scorch the finish.

I've been using mine rotary tool with good success. Like price said, on its lowest setting. It takes a little practice. I'm still working out my technique to get a thicker coating of wax built up.

I've been using mine rotary tool with good success. Like price said, on its lowest setting. It takes a little practice. I'm still working out my technique to get a thicker coating of wax built up.
Five or six thin coats is preferable to one thick one.

Five or six thin coats is preferable to one thick one.

Definately. Maybe I haven't been putting enough coats on. I've been going with about 3 or 4 so far. I feel like I have been kist moving the wax around after the first 3 coats. I'll give more coats a try in the future.

I might do this - after I get home, where I have my dremel. Are the high RPMs of the dremel suitable for buffing with Carnuba? I've heard conflicting stories.

I don't buff the wax with the Dremel. I use a low speed bench buffer to buff the wax. If you don't have a buffer, you can use a soft shoe brush to buff the wax. It works great!

Top Bottom