What's new

Pipe Question

I recently received an old pipe from my Father. After closer inspection and a quick breakdown, I found this little piece of metal that fits into the tenon. All of my other pipes do not have this little bit. Does anyone know what this is? At first I thought it was a filter...

Thanks!

looks like a variant on the "stinger"... a metal bit to (allegedly) cool the smoke and to keep little bits of tobacco out of your mouth.

This appears to be one of the many different attempts on creating the "ultimate" in filter designs. (Apparently the number of designs registered with the US patent office would surprise us).
The filter has a double purpose as Richard has stated. It lengthens the path the smoke must travel, hence providing longer time to cool, and also to help prevent small bits of tobacco and tar residues from reaching the mouth. As you can see with all the little "ridges", the thought is that the smoke "swirls" around in each "chamber", providing maximum cooling and additional "traps" for the bits...
Most smokers however prefer the simple straight aluminum stem filters, or no filter at all - mainly due to the reduction in "pulling" required when smoking.

It's the devil.

The idea of those (blasted) things is to elevate the draft hole above any pooled condensation so it doesn't enter the tenon and end up in your mouth. It kind of does that, in a half-assed sort of way, but what it does worse is keep your tenon wet, causing deterioration of the mortise and BEGGING your shank to crack.

If I had another nickle for every pipe I re-jointed due to that, I'd be doing pretty good. When I had the shop, I used to drill those out for free for customers who had the glued-in ones.

Despite this rant, :rolleyes: use it if you like it. A lot of people like them. If it comes out easily, try it without and decide. I hate them (obviously), but then I don't smoke your pipe with your mouth.

Top Bottom