What's new

Pipe Question

One of my new pipes is a cheapie Lucienne and it has a removable brass who-z-what's-it press fitted into the stem so that it sits half in the stem and half in the bowl area. Supposedly it's to cut down on particulate and "cool" the smoke.

So... the question, can I remove this thing and still have a good smoke? Is there any real advantage to keeping it in place? Also, any tips on keeping this pipe from getting clogged so easily?

Thanks!

I think you're talking about a "stinger." If you can remove it without damaging the stem, I'd say do it. They are supposed to catch moisture so your pipe doesn't gurgle...and to cool it, too (I guess).

If this is not a stinger we're talking about......(a la gilda radner) nevermind

I think you're talking about a "stinger." If you can remove it without damaging the stem, I'd say do it. They are supposed to catch moisture so your pipe doesn't gurgle...and to cool it, too (I guess).

If this is not a stinger we're talking about......(a la gilda radner) nevermind

So *that's* what you call it. Sounds right, anyhow. Thanks.

edit: and easier to clean the pipe w/o disassembling.

Last edited:
Some of these metal apparati, known as stingers are a necessary part of the stem/shank interface. On Kaywoodie pipes (my personal go to brand) the male portion of the stinger is threaded into the shank so that the pipe is held together by the stinger. On some others, like the two Longchamp pipes I own, the stinger was a bit more of an after thought and really has nothing to do with holding the pipe together. If this is your case and you can remove the stinger and just push the stem into the shank, have at it.

Tobacco recommendations? Since we all seem to be into classic things, Prince Albert is a good bet. A great classic American burley that has been around for over a hundred years. For something a bit fuller try Old Joe Krantz from Cornell and Deihl. OJK is very full and has a monster nicotine hit. Me personally, if these were the only two pipe tobaccos left on the market, I'd do just fine. If you like a good cigar, Old Joe Krantz will be right up your alley (only without a doubt better than any dog rocket ever)

One of my new pipes is a cheapie Lucienne and it has a removable brass who-z-what's-it press fitted into the stem so that it sits half in the stem and half in the bowl area. Supposedly it's to cut down on particulate and "cool" the smoke.

So... the question, can I remove this thing and still have a good smoke? Is there any real advantage to keeping it in place? Also, any tips on keeping this pipe from getting clogged so easily?

Thanks!

Yeah, packing a pipe is an art unto itself.

Sprinkle some in. Sprinkle until full.

tamp down VERY lightly. Just the weight of the tamper.

Sprinkle more until full. Use SLIGHTLY more pressure. Enough to compact what you just dosed without effecting the previously packed layer.

Repeat until almost full. Rub the tobacco to get some finer particles, and sprinkle on top.

Light to build the layer of ash. Tamp (just the weight of the tamper) to get the ash flattned. This is intended to be a buffer. It helps keep the burn low and even.

Then, relight, and smoke slow. If the bowl starts to get hot to the touch, put the pipe down until it cools. Then pick it up and relight.

It takes quite a bit of practice to get right, and you'll go through a ton of matches the first few times, but the experience is so much better this way.

And yeah, toss the stinger. You don't want it. It does more harm than good.

If your pipe is glossed with a shiny varnish that doesn't breathe well, sand it off. (I've done this before) Finish with carunba wax, and polish if you like.

If this pipe is new, you'll want to build a cake inside the bowl. Once the bowl is finished and the ember has died, cover the top of the bowl with your thumb or your palm, and give it a good up-and-down shake to evenly coat the inner bowl with ash. Then dump it, and give the pipe time to dry. It takes more than a day, which is part of why it's good to keep a rotation of pipes on hand. Cobs are great for this purpose, as they smoke well, do not require breaking in, and they're cheap.

(btw, never ever toss a partially smoked bowl. IF you don't want to finish it then, let it go out and come back to it another time. Doing otherwise will cause uneven caking. It's just unnecessary)

At least in the ol' Lucienne, there's a significant difference in the smoke, stinger vs. no stinger. Without, it's a much easier draw and cooler smoke which reinforces my theory (stated only to myself) that the device to "cool" the smoke would be useless once it itself got hot.

And fwiw, I just picked up a (new) Kaywoodie (drinkless?) which has an integrated / permanently attached stinger. Interestingly enough (well, maybe not) the threading is just a hair off so that the stem opening (where you put your mouth) angle vs. the bowl is noticeably skewed (not horozontal) unless I give it a very good twist.

Last edited:
Heat up the stinger with a blowdrier and turn the stinger as required for the stem to line up properly. Dunk stem in cold water when finished.

I remember when I smoked a pipe that that brass tube was like a straight pipe for the tar to get in your mouth... mmm, mmm .. don't miss it much. lol

Top Bottom