What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Some Sir Walter Aromatic in my Rigoletto pot-bowl straight pipe. Thick walls and an eager-to-burn blend make for a nice early morning smoke. For some reason, much as I love my slim billiards, I felt like a hefty pipe in hand today.

ETA: A 30-minute smoke with 3 relights, while sipping Cafe Morro espresso-style coffee. Grand way to start a day.

Last edited:
Second round with the Bracken Flake. I rubbed one flake out and gravity filled then a second one rolled into a ball on top. I believed myself to be no nicotine wuzz but 20min into the bowl I felt it and after 50min I stopped with a good 20 more minutes still left. Overall the smoke was much better than last time. I filled it in the morning and smoked it after lunch. I had to relight about every 10-15min. Taste is full and strong with hints of brown sugar.
884E73A4-3451-4873-A0BD-30D0C62FE8A9.jpeg

An afternoon pipe today, some Granger in the My Own Blend (Stanwell) blond straight billiard. It took several relights, but I got a good 30-minute session as I sat with iced mineral water on my front step. The weather is not much less hot (not "cooler," not yet), but is drier. So even sitting in dappled sunlight with some shade from the trees is not unpleasant.

Cool(ish) here this morning, so I'm pretending it's an English autumn ("It was in the latter days of September, and the equinoctial gales had set in with exceptional violence"). Loaded some Squadron Leader into the Jansen bent apple that I reserve for Latakia blends.

ETA: Having trouble keeping the leaf lit. It seemed pretty dry to me when I took it from the bag, though.

Last edited:
Tried the Squadron Leader again in the same bent apple pipe, though I loaded it a bit differently, using the slight twisting motion to push the pinch of tobacco into the bowl that Mr. Jansen taught me in his shop when I bought this pipe of his. Still not good. My total elapsed smoke time was about 20 minutes, but I'd bet only about 15 of that was actual smoking. I kept having to relight, both with matches and with my Zippo pipe lighter. I have to say I like the taste and aroma of the SL better each time I try it. But though it seems quite dry, almost crunchy, when I take it from the plastic bag, it refuses to stay lit.

Got home at a reasonable time, so I decided on some Carter Hall in the new-to-me Mastercraft billiard. I'd been watching some of Muttnchop Piper's YooToob videos about packing your pipe and about how to breathe as you smoke; I wanted to try some of his methods. I may have packed the billiard a little too tightly, as I began to hear, well, not a gurgle, but a kind of mild rustling as I drew on the pipe during the middle part of the smoke. Still, the CH burned well, 1 relight for a 30-minute smoke. There was a little harshness to the last part of the bowl. But I've found that with CH before.

It'll be interesting to try these techniques with other blends and pipes.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I never really know how my next smoke will go, even with a familiar pipe and blend. Even though I've been at it for awhile, I'm still only an occasional smoker, most active during the few cooler days we have in the gulf south. I don't obsess over how I pack my pipe, mostly variations of the "codger scoop", I believe most of my less successful smokes are due to cadence issues. SWMBO objects to my smoking, so I often feel rushed even though I have all the time in the world. I don't sweat relights, or I would have given up long ago! I often get distracted and let the pipe go out, particularly when I try the "breath method".

I never really know how my next smoke will go, even with a familiar pipe and blend. Even though I've been at it for awhile, I'm still only an occasional smoker, most active during the few cooler days we have in the gulf south. I don't obsess over how I pack my pipe, mostly variations of the "codger scoop", I believe most of my less successful smokes are due to cadence issues. SWMBO objects to my smoking, so I often feel rushed even though I have all the time in the world. I don't sweat relights, or I would have given up long ago! I often get distracted and let the pipe go out, particularly when I try the "breath method".

Similar to how I smoke. With time and patience it will come.

Top Bottom