What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

IMG_3129.JPG

1968 Dunhill 780 Root Briar setter, 1999 McClelland Christmas Cheer.

A 2-part smoke today: Edgeworth Match went into my thick-walled Rigoletto straight pot-bowl pipe. I had a good 25 minutes of cool smoke right after breakfast. With errands to run, I set the pipe on the kitchen counter. When I returned about 45 minutes later, the remaining leaf lit, but would not puff much and would not stay lit. I suppose some moisture must have condensed in the bowl. When I tapped the pipe out, there was not much dottle left.

Early morning pipe: Carter Hall in the Mastercraft billiard. I thought I'd try this combo, since the MC is a bit longer-stemmed than some of my other pipes, and the CH has always tended to burn a little warm for me. The smoke was cool, but I could not keep it lit for long. After 4 relights and almost 20 minutes, I gave up and tapped it out. Maybe I didn't pack it right.

After my smoke with the Carter Hall, I let the pipe cool and swabbed it out. Then I loaded some Granger right from the pouch, no drying, using the same fill method I had with the CH, and had a solid 25-minute smoke. Go figure.

I prefer Granger anyway: CH has too much "cigarette" aroma for me. From now on I may mix CH with other tobaccos I like more.

From my experience life is too short to compromise on tobacco choices. My philosophy is smoke what I like and trade or trash the rest. Why dilute a tobacco you like with one you don’t. Someone once told me that “truth is beauty, beauty is truth, and f**k the sunk costs”. [.QUOTE="Benzadmiral, post: 11444101, member: 119111"]
After my smoke with the Carter Hall, I let the pipe cool and swabbed it out. Then I loaded some Granger right from the pouch, no drying, using the same fill method I had with the CH, and had a solid 25-minute smoke. Go figure.

I prefer Granger anyway: CH has too much "cigarette" aroma for me. From now on I may mix CH with other tobaccos I like more.
[/QUOTE]

From my experience life is too short to compromise on tobacco choices. My philosophy is smoke what I like and trade or trash the rest. Why dilute a tobacco you like with one you don’t. Someone once told me that “truth is beauty, beauty is truth, and f**k the sunk costs”. [.QUOTE="Benzadmiral, post: 11444101, member: 119111"]

[/QUOTE]
Well, I bought the tobacco, and it's not *bad* and I like it okay. But I hate to waste it. And it does make a good mix.

A pre-breakfast pipe: a mix of long-aged Tinder Box mystery maple-chocolate blend with Carter Hall in a no-name dark smooth bent billiard, prob. also from TB in the '80s or '90s. First time I've smoked the TB stuff in while, and first time for a bent pipe in quite some time as well. A bent has the advantage that you can see the leaf as you light it, and make sure you're igniting all of it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I’m almost certain the acetone will melt the plastic. The pipe cleaner will probably fuse to the air way lol. If it isn’t metal or glass or wood acetone will melt it I have found, unfortunately sometimes :).

Top Bottom