What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

IMG_2950.JPG

1982 Dunhill 51031 Bruyere, Esoterica Dunbar

Some Seattle Pipe Club Miss. River Special Reserve in the pipe I reserve for latakia blends, the Jansen bent apple. A very nice taste remains afterward. I smoked about half of the bowl, set it aside while I ran to the grocery, then resumed with it after breakfast.

I like the components in the blend. How'd it smoke?
I was unfair in my earlier thoughts on Sutliff Fox and Hound. One bowl was from the freshly opened pouch and the other wasn't dried out enough.

So after having the tobacco dried to perfect consistency and having the package open for a bit now, that rubbery sensation has given over to smokey. It's a little on the lighter sweeter side of the spectrum, it's no bomb. Smoked slower it's well balanced, all the components take turns shining. Puff harder and it's ashy and generally not pleasant. When this pouch is gone, I'll get another. When that's gone, I'll get a pound and put it away until next summer.

Some Half & Half (nice to get back to it!) in the canted London Briar. Though I like all the codgers I've tried, H & H is the one I can taste (or scent) the most strongly, not only at the first light but during the smoke. A very nice 30 minute session, only 2 relights.

Up early w/ insomnia and watching a Hill Street Blues episode from the early '80s, I gave in to an impulse. Some Edgeworth Match went into my middle-sized Stanwell straight billiard. I loaded it with the gravity fill method followed by another pinch and a light finger tamp, and lit up. The leaf smoked steadily without tongue bite and with only 1 relight for 35 solid minutes. Of course I have no idea about the original Edgeworth, but if it was anything like this stuff, it was a tremendous value.

It smokes something like Carter Hall, but with less "cigarette" flavor and cooler. Maybe I'll try mixing them soon.

Tried some more C & D Gentleman Caller in the MM hardwood I bought for that blend. My most recent attempt at that combo about a week ago worked pretty well, but this afternoon the blend kept putting out matches (though I'd dried it some on a saucer beforehand), and then smoked hot, so that I tapped it out at about 10 minutes. Dunno if it's the blend -- though I've smoked it all right in one of my briars -- or the pipe.

Top Bottom