What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

No name meerschaum bent bulldog with Samual Gawith Grousemoor

6DEE1C9B-5710-4140-A922-3A6139DD57FD.jpeg

A half bowl of Half & Half in my small London Briar. This is several times now I have had a great smoke with this combination: a good 25-minute smoke with one relight. Perhaps I packed it a little more firmly than I usually do, or the bowl and amount of leaf were in perfect proportion . . . or I am learning to sip this blend. A good way to start the morning.

Last edited:
This morning I tried my hand at the folding technique with Mac Baren's Vanilla flake tobacco in an estate pipe simply stamped "Made in London England" and "567" on the bottom.

20210421_084224.jpg

Using the folding technique is still a "work in progress". I think next time I have to try perhaps half a flake instead of stuffing a whole flake into the bowl.

Tim

I've had my inaugural smoke of the Sutliff Edgeworth, this in my new-to-me Rigoletto pot pipe. Very nice stuff. I intended to do only about a half bowl, but when I had it packed it was close to full. It gave me a solid 20 minutes' worth of sipping and puffing as I sat on my step with my current book. No tongue bite, not even when I relit for another 10 minutes.

It seems a rather, shall we say, polite blend. It doesn't intrude, it doesn't call attention to itself or grandstand, even in the pouch (whereas Granger, for instance, smells practically edible); but it is smooth. I'll try it again soon in one of the older pipes. My impression is that, unlike Half & Half (which seems to work best in a small chamber), it would do well in a slightly larger bowl like this pot, or those of my Colossal and Savinelli billiards.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I've had my inaugural smoke of the Sutliff Edgeworth, this in my new-to-me Rigoletto pot pipe. Very nice stuff. I intended to do only about a half bowl, but when I had it packed it was close to full. It gave me a solid 20 minutes' worth of sipping and puffing as I sat on my step with my current book. No tongue bite, not even when I relit for another 10 minutes.

It seems a rather, shall we say, polite blend. It doesn't intrude, it doesn't call attention to itself or grandstand, even in the pouch (whereas Granger, for instance, smells practically edible); but it is smooth. I'll try it again soon in one of the older pipes. My impression is that, unlike Half & Half (which seems to work best in a small chamber), it would do well in a slightly larger bowl like this pot, or those of my Colossal and Savinelli billiards.

The Sutliff ERR match is not bad. I prefer LLRR to it, but I may be a minority view. The latter better approaches PA on the spectrum ... and I am rationing what I have left of PA, so speak as to substitutes. Smooth is a good word for all three of those.

All these blends behave differently depending on your consumption rates. I can see where a single bowl or two of some OTCs are not going to satisfy as much as some others. But at 5-7 (or more) bowls a day, a lighter if smoother blend sometimes wears a little better by evening.

I'm glad to see Grainger getting some love. It is often treated as the red-headed stepchild among the current OTC offerings.

Top Bottom