What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

1989 Peterson Sherlock Holmes, 2015 Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.
IMG_2634.JPG

A pleasant after-dinner smoke this evening: my new My Own Blend (Stanwell?) straight billiard, with a half bowl of (you guessed it) Half & Half. This is the pipe with the too-easily-rotated stem. I'm following the suggestions here and from the vendor to tighten it if I can, by smoking the pipe about 6-10 times (this was no. 2) without removing or rotating the stem. I run a pipe cleaner down the airway, then let the pipe cool in room temp conditions.

As far as packing and actually smoking, I did something very right this time. Basically I gravity-filled the bowl and tamped it down very lightly with a finger, then lit, puffed, tamped, and relit. Result: 20 minutes' worth of steady sippin' an' puffin', no real hotness on my tongue, no need for a second relight.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Still trying to smoke through all that's left of my Germain's Royal Jersey Cavendish and Virginia with a little Radfords Mixture thrown in. Nording Compass is doing a sterling job with it. Only one bowl every couple of days or so, but we're getting there.

20210326_205625.jpg

Taking a break from the March Meerschaum Fest to enjoy a rare indoor pipe while the wife and kids are out of town. First smoke in a new to me Dunhill Cumberland Canadian. Rattray's Old Gowrie is the tobacco of choice, while I watch Willy's Wonderland, and enjoy a nice Blackberry Sour from a local brewery.

This morning, nasty as it is (73 F. and humid), was made tolerable by some Sir Walter Raleigh in my No. 307 Peterson system pipe. I've refreshed and olive-oiled the stem, polished the metal collar with some Flitz, and dabbed and buffed some furniture polish on the bowl itself, so that the Peterson looks almost new. And it smokes the SWR, as it has for just about any leaf since 1985 or so, without issue: 30 minutes with one relight after the first, cool and tongue bite-free.

Their 1920s ads touting the tobacco's mildness did not exaggerate.

An afternoon pipe on the step: the new Stanwell billiard with a half bowl or so of Carter Hall. The leaf lit and burned steadily with only the initial match for about 12 minutes, and 1 more match took me to about 20. Maybe I smoked a little too fast, or perhaps the sticky wind out there made it burn a little hot, which was not my experience with CH earlier. Got to watch it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
An afternoon pipe on the step: the new Stanwell billiard with a half bowl or so of Carter Hall. The leaf lit and burned steadily with only the initial match for about 12 minutes, and 1 more match took me to about 20. Maybe I smoked a little too fast, or perhaps the sticky wind out there made it burn a little hot, which was not my experience with CH earlier. Got to watch it.
The wind definitely makes a difference.

Top Bottom