What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Sutliff Field & Stream Match in my custom Rhodesian. First bowl in some time, after a period of wallowing . . .

POTD-2021-02-27.jpg

Some Tinder Box VBL, Black Cavendish obviously, in one of my favorites, a thick-walled sitter Lorenzo. Either I packed it too tightly, or this stuff is too old or thick to burn right. I had to keep relighting and drawing hard. At last I gave up, knocked it out, let it cool a bit, then loaded a half bowl of Half and Half. Much much better!

I'll have to post a pic to see what you think the shape of this pipe is. But I've enjoyed the pipe since 1985, repaired the cracked shank, and replaced the vulcanite stem with a black acrylic.

This evening: Watch City Off the Rails in a Radice Rind Billiard with a faux bamboo shank; WC Terrapin Station in a Radice Classic 35 smooth straight bulldog.

No pipe tonight, as I got home fairly late, and the wind was kicking up quite a bit with rain on the way. I contented myself with running a pipe cleaner dipped in sweetener (cheap vanilla extract, if matters) through the pipe I plan to smoke next, my Savinelli near-straight sandblast billiard, and leaving it apart to air out completely. Tomorrow or Wednesday, who knows. And my small tin of EGR Blend should be here this week, too!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Missouri Meerschaum Huck Finn cob
Gawith Hoggarth Bosun Flake

I wonder if they ever spelled it Boatswain?
In my service Boatswain is an enlisted term. Bosun is reserved for the Chief Warrent Officers.

You can call a Boatswains Mate "Boats" but you'd never refer to a Bosun as anything other than "Bosun" or "sir".

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In my service Boatswain is an enlisted term. Bosun is reserved for the Chief Warrent Officers.

You can call a Boatswains Mate "Boats" but you'd never refer to a Bosun as anything other than "Bosun" or "sir".

Interesting ... do you pronounce them the same?

I was under the impression, that Bosun was just the "idle" spelling of Boatswain (or the spelling for those who have heard the word, but may never seen it written in full), much like Gunwale is sometime seen written as Gunnel. Maybe things evolved differently on your side of the puddle.

Got out my very first pipe, the Oom Paul "sitter" that I bought at Tinder Box way back in late '83 or early '84. Turns out it is a Lorenzo also, a model labeled "Ambra." (Funny how I never cared much about brands or models hen, I was all about the shapes.) A half bowl of Half & Half (I'm getting to like this stuff quite a bit) for 20 minutes as I watched the cold rain fall outside the screen door . . . a chance to reflect and unwind.

Top Bottom