What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My second half bowl of Half & Half in a Savinelli sandblasted billiard with a lightly bent (and badly oxidized) stem:

View attachment 1225716

Is this what is known as a "military" or "army" mount? The stem goes right into the metal collar. And the stem is unusual: It's like my Peterson System pipe, in that the opening is on the top or dorsal side of the stem, instead of at the very end. I haven't seen this model available now on websites. It's the one I fondly refer to as my "Somerset Maugham" pipe -- possibly because I was reading Of Human Bondage in the '80s when I bought this one.

It does look like a Peterson p-lip stem. Possible that it’s a replacement and someone just fitted a Peterson stem to the pipe. Either way, looks like a nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Outside enjoying the “warmer” weather with the 2020 BL/LE and some PS LNF

4C2EF327-B67C-4821-86A3-AB5C857E7756.jpeg

I spent a good bit of the day working on my ice machine, a very frustrating, but ultimately successful project. Took a break in the afternoon for a bowl of PS LBF in a Radice Rind Billiard with a faux bamboo shank. This evening I'm finishing up a DGT bowl of Russ' Tastykake in a Bones bent Dublin; then some Wilke Sailor Jack in a Peterson 2018 01 Christmas Pipe; then Peter Heinrichs Curly Block in a Radice 1/4 bent Rusticated twin bore apple.
Happy IPSD!

It does look like a Peterson p-lip stem. Possible that it’s a replacement and someone just fitted a Peterson stem to the pipe. Either way, looks like a nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Possible . . . but my memory says I bought it new at Tinder Box. Again, something like 1985 or '86, this was; and I was never into used pipes, as everybody called them then.

It is a great pipe. I've got to look into the methods mentioned here about refreshing the stem and removing the oxidation.

A poor pic, but today's pipe, a Prince of Wales model (no name on it), loaded earlier with Sir Walter Raleigh. My memory says I picked this one up at a tobacconist on Toulouse Street in the French Quarter in, I dunno, '87 or thereabouts:

IMG_20210221_110045_1CS.jpg

I must have packed it a bit too tightly, or tamped it down a little hard, as after about 10 minutes it was drawing with some difficulty. I decided to abort the smoke rather than have the pipe, and my tongue, get too hot. Still, a pleasant smoke!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A poor pic, but today's pipe, a Prince of Wales model (no name on it), loaded earlier with Sir Walter Raleigh. My memory says I picked this one up at a tobacconist on Toulouse Street in the French Quarter in, I dunno, '87 or thereabouts:

View attachment 1226317

I must have packed it a bit too tightly, or tamped it down a little hard, as after about 10 minutes it was drawing with some difficulty. I decided to abort the smoke rather than have the pipe, and my tongue, get too hot. Still, a pleasant smoke!
Handsome pipe. The mid-century styles are my favorites. I’ve started packing my pipes much more lightly and just having two bowls if I want a longer smoke. There seems to be more flavor in a loosely packed bowl. Still, I over pack from time to time as well.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Trying out Windjammer in the new Tsuge. I tend to smoke hot, so I normally break a new pipe in with Gaslight or a rope tobacco. Something that burns slow and cool. But at the moment my Gaslight is home, and I'm not, so my choice is smoking the new pipe with something other than my break-in blends, or not smoking it at all.

A stunning afternoon, clear azure sky, only a breath of wind, 63F after a low of -17 one week ago; perfect for smoking and reading.
Finished (finally) the complete Sherlock Holmes. I don't know if this Kindle version is actually complete, but it was over 1750 pages, so fairly complete at the least. I'm not sure what's next, but it will be shorter! I smoked a bowl of WC Deluxe Crumb Cut in the PSF 2017 POY, a Savinelli 804KS Canadian. Now I'm onto WC Stubb's Pipe in a Ron Powell Bamboo Brandy. A splendid day all in all.

Top Bottom