What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

I am discovering all sorts of things about my pipe collection. This morning I picked a small bent apple pipe, smooth and sort of "coppery" in color. Imagine my surprise when I see the initials "GBD" incised into an oval on the shank! I think I bought it around '86 at a pipe shop in the French Quarter that is long out of business.

Packed it about halfway with my mystery chocolate-maple blend and had a fine smoke, mostly outdoors (and it's chilly today). Apparently I loaded and tamped it just right, because I only needed two matches, one to start and a second for the rest of the smoke. Amazin' how this stuff comes back to you. . . .

20210213_104824.jpg

Esoterica Peacehaven in a Tinsky 2 star Golden Blast Canadian

Just lit a bowl of some pre-Butera era (late 1990’s?) Esoterica And So To Bed from a generous sample that a new friend kindly gifted me. Just delivered today.

The topping (ale? apricot?) is still every bit as present in this aged sample as it is in the new stuff. He just popped the tin a week ago.

Just getting started on this first bowl, but man is it smooothh. I’m enjoying it in my trusty Falcon.
DD8FD21E-E5CB-41EF-98CD-6FC536B2DB72.jpeg

A half-bowl of my mystery chocolate-maple blend in a handsome billiard with a stem slightly bent out near its tip. The billiard brand is "Colossal," and it's marked "Italy." Anybody know anything about them?

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
SWRA in a Sav Alligator bent pot this afternoon.

... because my son swiped yet another of my Grabows (a rarer bent one), and the alligator is a gorgeous looking rusticated.

... and because Mrs. Columbo had to put up with all that Navy Flake the other day. 🙄

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
It's Dun-Day Sunday (or Dunhill Sunday if you don't like rhymes), so I'm smoking some Lane Ltd. Ready Rubbed in my... Peterson Newgrange Spigot, because I only have one Dunhill, and it's resting at the moment. So it's more like High End Sunday, because these are my two most expensive pipes, but that doesn't sound as good.

I'm tempted to fire up a pipe this morning; the weather is unusually cold and wet, with ice predicted before midnight. The trouble with smoking outside? It's unusually cold and wet. Maybe a half bowl as I stand by the screen door . . .?

Well, I went ahead and smoked a small bowl with the door open: a smooth bent apple that I think I purchased in the French Quarter 35 years ago. Peering closely at the shank, I see "Jansen's" -- the name of the guy who owned and ran the shop. He had his own line of reasonably priced pipes as well as his own tobacco blends.

Tobacco: Tinder Box VBL, which seems to be mostly Cavendish.

It is a balmy 5 degrees F this afternoon, up from -15 F this morning; a veritable heat wave! I'll be in the mobile smoking lounge this afternoon with WC Deluxe Crumb Cut in a Jobey Shellmoor 735 Canadian; C&D Sansepolcro in a Castello 55 Old Antiquari KK; Peterson Irish Oak in a GBD Prehistoric 9448.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom