What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As an American, I’m always interested to hear the opinions of others regarding blends you have access to that we don’t, like that particular Germain’s blend you’re smoking right now. Cheers!

Then maybe I should start looking for a thread on each blend I try, and start a new thread if there isn't one already. I know that a lot of the blends available to me are erratic over there, but maybe some folks have had the opportunity to try them.

I’m fortunate to have access to several Germain’s blends (namely Rich Dark Flake and Special Latakia Flake) that are readily available in the UK but not in the USA, but there are many more blends available there and not here that are of interest. Cheers!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Sutliff Ready Rubbed in a recently cleaned up LL Bean Billiard. I still have some polishing and stem cleaning to do but it’s smokable today. This will be my codger burley blends pipe. I think Mr. Bean would approve.
8A8C6FA7-092E-44F8-A3FF-394195D322D8.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
110 miles, that's all?? Growing up we went to town every 2 weeks for a grocery run. I thought the 20 mile run into the biggest town (8,000 population then) was terrible. We've been there 35 years and my parents just got high speed internet yesterday. Not because it wasn't an option, because it finally arrived to be an option.
I’m moving to a town next week where I won’t get high speed Internet. One end of town has fiber and my end doesn’t. Going from 600 mbps to 18 mbps. But it is worth it to get away from a city. I would rather fish than stream any day.

I’m moving to a town next week where I won’t get high speed Internet. One end of town has fiber and my end doesn’t. Going from 600 mbps to 18 mbps. But it is worth it to get away from a city. I would rather fish than stream any day.

You sound like me. I moved out of the city 4 years ago, bought some acreage, I have 10mbps which in this rural area is enough to stream and piddle on the ipads and iphones without disruption. I have a pond to fish, trails to walk and 4wheel around on, deer strolling by and a big porch to smoke my pipes. Not for everyone, but it sure is perfect for me!

Sutliff Ready Rubbed in a recently cleaned up LL Bean Billiard. I still have some polishing and stem cleaning to do but it’s smokable today. This will be my codger burley blends pipe. I think Mr. Bean would approve. View attachment 1215141

I'll be, didn't know LL Bean made pipes. Reminds me of when I seen an old baitcast reel and the manufacturer was Abercrombie & Fitch. I had no idea the overpriced yet popular teenage clothing store started in high end outdoor gear. They even fitted Theodore Roosevelt with his gear for his Antarctica expedition.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I'll be, didn't know LL Bean made pipes. Reminds me of when I seen an old baitcast reel and the manufacturer was Abercrombie & Fitch. I had no idea the overpriced yet popular teenage clothing store started in high end outdoor gear. They even fitted Theodore Roosevelt with his gear for his Antarctica expedition.
LL Bean had their own tobacco too that I think they sold until the late 80’s. No one is sure exactly what the blend was but the consensus seems to be it was rebranded PA. The pipe was made by Grabow and is a “Smokemaster.” It uses the bent pipe cleaner as a filter system. I tried it out today just to see how it works and likely will not be using the cleaner/filter system again.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
...as well as most of his Rough Riders in Cuba...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You sound like me. I moved out of the city 4 years ago, bought some acreage, I have 10mbps which in this rural area is enough to stream and piddle on the ipads and iphones without disruption. I have a pond to fish, trails to walk and 4wheel around on, deer strolling by and a big porch to smoke my pipes. Not for everyone, but it sure is perfect for me!
Sounds like paradise to me. My son who is a software engineer said 18 was theee times what my wife needed for work so I’m cool with that. Instead of spending hours driving to the trout, I decided to move in with them. Our new house is smaller than the current one and the yard is very small so I can spend my vacuuming and mowing time tying flies and fishing. Really looking forward to it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Radfords Mixture in a Pony Express cob.

A definite codger blend. A VaBur wth a whiff of fruit blossom, supposedly, but the nett effect gives a kind of "bit of everything" flavour. Fruit, nut, floral, liquorice, and alcohol all rolled into one. Odd blend. Very smokeable, and yet seems to oscillate between barely aromatic and very aromatic in the same bowl, yet it can't seem to decide what flavour aromatic to be. Occasionally fruity, sometimes Bakewell Pudding, sometimes a definite hazelnut type taste, sometimes nearly all light tobacco, and a splash of Sambuca to finish. I've finished it, and been left with no idea what I just smoked, or any certainty whether I enjoyed it or not.

Top Bottom