What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

OJK
52CE93C6-66CF-4AEC-8434-391814447F1F.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I had a bowl of Germain's Cavendish and Virginia earlier today, in the Ben Wade Reader Lightweight

IMG_20210123_234839_edit_edit.jpg

It didn't entirely scratch the itch, and so I'm following this up with my first taste of Gawith Hoggarth Bosun Flake in a Mr Brog Cent.

IMG_20210123_235131_edit.jpgIMG_20210123_235345.jpg

A very well balance in my opinion, floral Lakeland. It's somehow floral, without being perfumey. Not as heavy as Coniston, but still has some body to it, yet not so much that it would be too heavy to smoke during the day. It does coat the tongue somewhat with the soapiness, but not necessarily in a bad way. It does need relighting a fair bit too.

I can see this being a good smoke for when distracted, or as I call 'em, "a busy man's smoke". Have a few puffs, get distracted, smoke a little more, get distracted again... and the taste will linger a while when away from the pipe. It might however get cloying, if trying to smoke a full bowl in one sitting without letting it go out a while.

Right now, I'm bouncing between the pipe, a book, and a bit of housework (which I can only do short bursts of, then need a break from for health reasons), and it fits the bill very nicely indeed.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
It does coat the tongue somewhat with the soapiness, but not necessarily in a bad way.
I haven't yet had my first taste of Lakeland however I do have some stowed away in jars I got in the most recent G&H drop...I can't imagine enjoying what you've described here Al.

I've heard Lakelands sometimes being described as soapy...but there is something about how you've said it here.

Ugh. 🤢🤮

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I haven't yet had my first taste of Lakeland however I do have some stowed away in jars I got in the most recent G&H drop...I can't imagine enjoying what you've described here Al.

I've heard Lakelands sometimes being described as soapy...but there is something about how you've said it here.

Ugh. 🤢🤮

I think this is the first Lakeland that I've specifically noticed that with, and I use the term soapiness, because that's how many refer to it, even though its not like shoving a bar of Imperial Leather in your pie hole.

I found Old Dark Fired to coat the tongue, and in a very bad way. This leaves a taste which is both tobacco and floral, and far more welcome on this tongue than the "just swept out a cow shed with my tongue" taste of the ODF. I think it would still get cloying if I did a full 20mm dia x 40mm deep bowl in one hit, but dipping in and out while doing life stuff, I found it very pleasant.

I didn't get beyond the halfway mark with it yesterday, and am revisiting it now. It is just as pleasant today, as far as I'm concerned. The bottom line, is that while this blend is not overly topped, the taste can build on the tongue as the smoke progresses. If you like the floral edge on Lakelands, that might be very welcome. If you don't like that, then stay well clear of Bosun.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Ugh. 🤢🤮
Have you tried St. Bruno yet? That might be a way to dip your toe into Lakeland as it is often described as a “Lakeland Light” as it has a pleasant floral note. I like it a lot.

Like you, Brandon, I have a sample of Lakeland from the SP drop that I haven't had the courage to load up yet. I'm not sure if you got a whiff of it yet, but (#7 Broken Flake at least) very much had that aroma of public restroom soap. It's a very heavy floral but creamy bouquet. Not at all in a bad way, but I can sure see where it's a turnoff for American palettes.

Top Bottom