What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Today was a good day. I finished bagging up the tobacco from my last few orders, about 2 1/2 pounds worth, all in pint mylar bags, zipped and heat sealed. And, I received my Covid vaccine this afternoon, without my arm falling off or other dread symptoms; the Moderna version. In our neck of the woods, your name goes on a priority list, then when vaccine is available, you get a call. They are trying to get to all the front line workers first, but if they open a bottle for one health worker, they have doses available for the rest of us, or at least that is what they told my wife.
And in smoking news... tonight it is Penzance in the Larrysson 2018 LE, then Field & Stream Match in an Avanti Rock Briar 1015 pot, then Mixture 79 Match in a Grabow Riviera pot. First time for the last two tobaccos.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Today was a good day. I finished bagging up the tobacco from my last few orders, about 2 1/2 pounds worth, all in pint mylar bags, zipped and heat sealed. And, I received my Covid vaccine this afternoon, without my arm falling off or other dread symptoms; the Moderna version. In our neck of the woods, your name goes on a priority list, then when vaccine is available, you get a call. They are trying to get to all the front line workers first, but if they open a bottle for one health worker, they have doses available for the rest of us, or at least that is what they told my wife.
And in smoking news... tonight it is Penzance in the Larrysson 2018 LE, then Field & Stream Match in an Avanti Rock Briar 1015 pot, then Mixture 79 Match in a Grabow Riviera pot. First time for the last two tobaccos.
Let me know what you think of Mixture 79. I bought a pouch in 1969 I believe and remember I hated it. Of course I didn’t know what I was doing then. I took @RookieGuy advice and bought a Ridiculously large Sample of it and fortunately really like it and have been toying with the idea of giving M79 another chance. I’ve read it as being an “American Lakeland”. M79 sounds a bit explosive I know.

Bayou Night in a Chacom Reverse Calabash.
CA75DEFB-57D3-4023-9346-2833B5C60D55.jpeg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Let me know what you think of Mixture 79. I bought a pouch in 1969 I believe and remember I hated it. Of course I didn’t know what I was doing then. I took @RookieGuy advice and bought a Ridiculously large Sample of it and fortunately really like it and have been toying with the idea of giving M79 another chance. I’ve read it as being an “American Lakeland”. M79 sounds a bit explosive I know.
I had a pouch of Mixture 79 in my last order. I haven't opened it yet so I'm curious about you thoughts on it as well Kelly.

I smoked a second bowl today. I wouldn’t say I dislike it, but I’m not crazy about it. The first half wasn’t too bad; the second half faded away. Not horrible, but not a repurchase. The jury remains out on the Field & Stream Match. I kind of liked it, but “kind of” may not make the cut.
I have some EGR open and it is a keeper.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I smoked a second bowl today. I wouldn’t say I dislike it, but I’m not crazy about it. The first half wasn’t too bad; the second half faded away. Not horrible, but not a repurchase. The jury remains out on the Field & Stream Match. I kind of liked it, but “kind of” may not make the cut.
I have some EGR open and it is a keeper.
Well, I believe I’ll pass on M79. If something made a bad impression on me fifty years ago and I still remember it, it must have been pretty repulsive. Anyway, I have St Bruno which is a Lakeland “light” which I do enjoy. No use to muddy the waters. I’ll definitely give EGR a go. It got good reviews on TR. Inks gave it four stars and we are consistently agreeable on codger blends. 🙏

Well, I believe I’ll pass on M79. If something made a bad impression on me fifty years ago and I still remember it, it must have been pretty repulsive. Anyway, I have St Bruno which is a Lakeland “light” which I do enjoy. No use to muddy the waters. I’ll definitely give EGR a go. It got good reviews on TR. Inks gave it four stars and we are consistently agreeable on codger blends. 🙏
Remember that Jim was instrumental in reintroducing the blend. I’m not saying he is biased and I trust his reviews. Note: Jim freely admits his involvement with the blend.
FWIW: I like the stuff.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Remember that Jim was instrumental in reintroducing the blend. I’m not saying he is biased and I trust his reviews. Note: Jim freely admits his involvement with the blend.
FWIW: I like the stuff.
Yes, I read his review. EGR sounds like a blend I would enjoy. I have come to prefer the American classic style blends over all others now. And there is enough variety among them to hold my interest. I have no idea why this came about after so many years of pipe smoking but it did. I just go to where the pleasure resides. I still have a selection of high end tobacco but rarely smoke them any longer. I suppose I’ve come to a fork in the road where one goes toward interesting and the other goes to simple pleasure and I’m following the latter. I smoked Match PA all day today and enjoyed every bit of it which surprised me.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish in my custom Rhody.

View attachment 1209844
Borkum Riff! Whenever I see it, I think of those old TV ads ... with a blonde hanging off some Scandinavian guy. And the companion Erik ads, for those little Swedish mini cigars ... also featuring a hanging blonde.

Always made us PA and SWR guys jealous. All we ever got were occasional coupons ... no hanging blondes.

Borkum Riff! Whenever I see it, I think of those old TV ads ... with a blonde hanging off some Scandinavian guy. And the companion Erik ads, for those little Swedish mini cigars ... also featuring a hanging blonde.

Always made us PA and SWR guys jealous. All we ever got were occasional coupons ... no hanging blondes.
SWMBO might object to a blonde, hanging or otherwise.

Top Bottom