What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

138B356B-BC8E-4F07-A707-5CE76CDB6C89.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
American Delite, supposedly Gawith Hoggarth's take on Lane 1Q. Smoking it in a Huck Finn cob.

Very aromatic, and light on tobacco taste, yet still a pleasant smoke. I need to dry this thoroughly for my next bowl, as this bowl was rather damp. That should give me both ends of the taste spectrum for this blend. Despite being damp, it still burns well, and is sippable, but quite low on flavour. I've let it go out for a while to see if it dries a bit.

From what I can detect, it's like a cake someone made, who didn't have all the right ingredients, so they just threw in whatever was in the cupboard :001_tonguFruit, vanilla, nuts, etc. The whole things needs upping a bit though, and hopefully a drier bowl will help.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
American Delite, supposedly Gawith Hoggarth's take on Lane 1Q. Smoking it in a Huck Finn cob.

Very aromatic, and light on tobacco taste, yet still a pleasant smoke. I need to dry this thoroughly for my next bowl, as this bowl was rather damp. That should give me both ends of the taste spectrum for this blend. Despite being damp, it still burns well, and is sippable, but quite low on flavour. I've let it go out for a while to see if it dries a bit.

From what I can detect, it's like a cake someone made, who didn't have all the right ingredients, so they just threw in whatever was in the cupboard :001_tonguFruit, vanilla, nuts, etc. The whole things needs upping a bit though, and hopefully a drier bowl will help.

Would love to try some of that American Delite blend at some point.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Would love to try some of that American Delite blend at some point.

If you have decent access to Gawith Hoggarth blends, the three Reunion Series blends are worth a try too. New Prince is another one I like of theirs - mainly Virginia, with a bit of something more robust, and a light maple topping.

From what I can detect, it's like a cake someone made, who didn't have all the right ingredients, so they just threw in whatever was in the cupboard :001_tonguFruit, vanilla, nuts, etc.
That sounds like an American aro, alright. Goopy, lacking flavor. Beer, aromatic tobaccos, andthe metric system we Yanks seem to struggle with.

I generally like OTC blends, with Carter Hall one of my favorites. I have been hearing good thinks about Granger. What do you think of it?
I'm right there with you on OTC blends. But I always thought Granger was a RYO brand getting around taxation. Is it a real pipe tobacco?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I generally like OTC blends, with Carter Hall one of my favorites. I have been hearing good thinks about Granger. What do you think of it?
I had a can of Granger a few years ago and it is a straight burley like SWR but with a different cut. Decent tobacco but I found it to be a bit bitey for my tastes. I prefer SWR. Carter Hall is in a class of its own in my opinion. Absolutely love the stuff. In the past week I’ve been smoking Sutliff Match Revelation a lot and am appreciating it a lot now. Leaves C&D Pegasus in the dirt. It actually smokes like a classic American blend. I’m glad because I just bought a pound of it 😂.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That sounds like an American aro, alright. Goopy, lacking flavor. Beer, aromatic tobaccos, andthe metric system we Yanks seem to struggle with.

All the brands that are sold as "American" blends over here are aromatics, although I don't think Gawith makes them as gloopy as some others do, from what I've read. They still sell it in grams though :001_tongu

It did taste better after a bit of drying time, though still mild, and not insanely sweet like MacBaren Cube.

First off, happy birthday Mike! On to the smoking. First up this evening is Watch City Simply VOriental in a Radice Twin Bore Rusticated Bent Apple. My first (lots of firsts this eve) smoke with this blend. Next up will be Sutliff Field and Stream Match in a hand carved pipe from a friend who is not a pipe carver, another first On the tobacco.

Last edited:
Top Bottom