What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Breaking a new MM bent Legend that I picked up on the way home from work. My first bent stem, I am enjoying it!
20170717_163621.jpg

On summer vacation at a cottage we rented. This is the first opportunity I've had to snap a picture. Sone Dunhill Flake in a Sav Oscar I rescued out of an antique mall. I've also been enjoying HH Old Kentucky and a new to me and freshly opened can of McC Beacon. Oh ya I forgot a tamper so I fashioned on out of a piece of driftwood I found on the beach.
proxy.php

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
On summer vacation at a cottage we rented. This is the first opportunity I've had to snap a picture. Sone Dunhill Flake in a Sav Oscar I rescued out of an antique mall. I've also been enjoying HH Old Kentucky and a new to me and freshly opened can of McC Beacon. Oh ya I forgot a tamper so I fashioned on out of a piece of driftwood I found on the beach.
proxy.php

Nice! I have a Savinelli Oscar Elite 814 KS that I found in an antique store a year-and-a-half ago. Mine has a smooth finish though. It looks like yours might be an 814 KS as well. I love finding items in antique shops that end up being diamonds in the rough.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Wow, finished the tin? What is your final opinion on the unaged Stonehenge?

Finished the tin, but I did share a few bowls with my son in law. I don't know if I'm experienced enough with pipe smoking and all the different nuances when it comes to pipe tobaccos, so I don't want to give it an unfair comment or review because of an uneducated palate.

By itself, I thought it was just ok. The actual smoke kind of reminds me of LBF, but I like LBF better. To be very honest, while I smoked this last and several of the first bowls unadulterated, I have probably smoked more bowls of it with a pinch of Latakia added then without. However, I enjoyed it a great deal with the Lat.

I don't really have any experience knowing the differences between an new tobacco and an aged one, but I am definitely willing and curious in finding out what some age will change about it.

Nice! I have a Savinelli Oscar Elite 814 KS that I found in an antique store a year-and-a-half ago. Mine has a smooth finish though. It looks like yours might be an 814 KS as well. I love finding items in antique shops that end up being diamonds in the rough.
I have to agree, its those special finds that make all the other fruitless trips worth it. I have to say though in my area I have not had a great deal of luck finding the more desirable pipes. I did find a small peterson and I think that's about it, everything else is the standard Medico and Grawbow stuff. Not bad pipes but generally they are pretty banged up. Happy hunting.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Finished the tin, but I did share a few bowls with my son in law. I don't know if I'm experienced enough with pipe smoking and all the different nuances when it comes to pipe tobaccos, so I don't want to give it an unfair comment or review because of an uneducated palate.

By itself, I thought it was just ok. The actual smoke kind of reminds me of LBF, but I like LBF better. To be very honest, while I smoked this last and several of the first bowls unadulterated, I have probably smoked more bowls of it with a pinch of Latakia added then without. However, I enjoyed it a great deal with the Lat.

I don't really have any experience knowing the differences between an new tobacco and an aged one, but I am definitely willing and curious in finding out what some age will change about it.

Thanks for that input!

Top Bottom