What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Some Balmoral in a Dagner Cob, courtesy of @bryant
A close flavor profile to Nightcap as mentioned. I thought that the Balmoral had a casing of some sort, but I think that it is some black cavendish that I'm picking up on. It has a semi sweet and sour note, not powerful and slightly spicier than Nightcap. Nightcap has a floral note that I pick up on which I really enjoy that's not present in the Balmoral. I would say Balmoral is like Nightcap with a pinch of perique and a dose of black cavendish. Good stuff!
proxy.php
Sry. Can't get photos to upload with this new system!

I am very happy that you enjoyed the Balmoral!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ' Monthly Blend Allsorts in the little no name Calabash. This little guy is a fun smoke, and smoked surprisingly well. I think it may become a favorite. Good little clencher too.

PT170305.jpg

A little Chelsea Morning in my GBD Prince on the way to Darlington, SC.

proxy.php

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The race isn't until Labor Day...otherwise there's nothing else in Darlington lol. J/K safe travels!!!

The race isn't until Labor Day...otherwise there's nothing else in Darlington lol. J/K safe travels!!!

Lol. My friends live there. Some BBQ brisket and watching the Atlanta race, live even! I don't have to wait until Monday morning to watch it.

Lol. My friends live there. Some BBQ brisket and watching the Atlanta race, live even! I don't have to wait until Monday morning to watch it.

Nice! That sounds like a wonderful afternoon. We're keeping it simple this weekend, had a pretty big party last week for Daytona though.

Escudo in the Baki.
Loving this pipe, but it takes sooo long to smoke a bowl. It takes 3 and a half coins of Escudo and about 2 hours/bowl on this thing. Its been hard to squeeze that in each day. I'm going to keep trying to get a bowl a day in through march though.

Escudo in the Baki.
Loving this pipe, but it takes sooo long to smoke a bowl. It takes 3 and a half coins of Escudo and about 2 hours/bowl on this thing. Its been hard to squeeze that in each day. I'm going to keep trying to get a bowl a day in through march though.
Now that is a worthy goal.

Drew Estate Gatsby Luxury Flake in the H Cor

Just noticed that the tins had stickers placed over the original stickers. When I took a peak, it looked like that these tins were originally marked as Gilded Age Reserve, i.e. what the original name of the blend was before they changed it prior to releasing it to the market. Meaning, this is probably an original production release... dating the tin to 2013? Maybe?

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Drew Estate Gatsby Luxury Flake in the H Cor

Just noticed that the tins had stickers placed over the original stickers. When I took a peak, it looked like that these tins were originally marked as Gilded Age Reserve, i.e. what the original name of the blend was before they changed it prior to releasing it to the market. Meaning, this is probably an original production release... dating the tin to 2013? Maybe?

I noticed that when I got two tins of it back in October. It was originally released as Gilded Age Reserve, and by 2014 folks were calling it Gatsby LF on Tobacco Reviews. So, it very well could be that they're from the original release.

I noticed that when I got two tins of it back in October. It was originally released as Gilded Age Reserve, and by 2014 folks were calling it Gatsby LF on Tobacco Reviews. So, it very well could be that they're from the original release.
There apparently was some issue with the name being similar to something else (maybe a cigar line?). So, they delayed the release of it until they could change the name and re-label everything. It took a few months after they initially released all of their other blends for GLF to come out.

I actually remember a Drew Estate sales rep, back in 2013, telling me that they were coming out with pipe tobacco within the next month or so, but that one of their blends would be delayed a bit. I later felt bad, because I was telling him how much I disliked aromatics, not knowing that their lineup was primarily aros. :lol:

Top Bottom