What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
F8E874D2-2FBE-4474-9C2E-A3F8BBF92BAF.jpeg

Yesterday afternoon, a pre-dinner pipe of Edgeworth Match in my Stanwell billiard. The 20-minute smoke itself went well, but I felt hurried for some reason, and could not fully enjoy the time. That always leaves me feeling as if I should not have bothered. If I smoke again this p.m., perhaps I'll wait until after dinner, give the leaf some drying time on a saucer, and take it easier.

A pre-dinner pipe again, this time Mac Baren Golden Extra in my Colossal lightly-bent billiard. I am experimenting, though: a full bowl, but I've smoked only about 15 minutes' worth. I may have been puffing a bit fast -- the smoke was getting a trifle warm. I've put the pipe aside to cool and may come back to it after dinner.

A pre-dinner pipe again, this time Mac Baren Golden Extra in my Colossal lightly-bent billiard. I am experimenting, though: a full bowl, but I've smoked only about 15 minutes' worth. I may have been puffing a bit fast -- the smoke was getting a trifle warm. I've put the pipe aside to cool and may come back to it after dinner.
And so I did: Lit up after the pipe had been sitting for about 2 hours. I got another 10 minutes. A little harsh, though that might just be the leaf itself; I'm still getting used to it. Maybe if I'd removed a little of the top ash, I would not have needed much flame to get the remaining tobacco going well.

An afternoon pipe: Carter Hall with a tiny pinch of Half & Half atop it in my Georg Jensen sandblast billiard. This was the best smoke I've had with CH. Normally, for me, it has run to "cigarette" and kind of hot. Today I used the breath method on it, which kept it fairly cool. (The heel of the GJ tends to get pretty warm no matter what I have in it.) When the pipe went out at 15 minutes, I let it sit and cool for 5, tapped out a bit of the ash, and re-lit for another 15.

Two attempts at a good smoke in the same pipe, but different tobaccos: My pipe today was the '80s Savinelli sandblast billiard with the military mount. Friday morning I loaded it with Half & Half, but didn't get a chance to light up until Saturday morning, just now. Despite the drying time, I couldn't keep it lit and got only about 15 minutes.

At last I tapped the bowl out, let it cool, and loaded up with Sir Walter Aromatic. Again only about 15 minutes, with 2 relights. Apparently I've lost the skill at packing my pipe that I thought I'd gotten the hang of. I'm letting the remaining leaf sit until later, and will shoot for a few more minutes.

Off to YooToob to check on my packing technique, I guess. Either that, or I've lost the cadence of the breath method and am puffing too fast?

Top Bottom