What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

A 2-part smoke today: Edgeworth Match went into my thick-walled Rigoletto straight pot-bowl pipe. I had a good 25 minutes of cool smoke right after breakfast. With errands to run, I set the pipe on the kitchen counter. When I returned about 45 minutes later, the remaining leaf lit, but would not puff much and would not stay lit. I suppose some moisture must have condensed in the bowl. When I tapped the pipe out, there was not much dottle left.

Early morning pipe: Carter Hall in the Mastercraft billiard. I thought I'd try this combo, since the MC is a bit longer-stemmed than some of my other pipes, and the CH has always tended to burn a little warm for me. The smoke was cool, but I could not keep it lit for long. After 4 relights and almost 20 minutes, I gave up and tapped it out. Maybe I didn't pack it right.

After my smoke with the Carter Hall, I let the pipe cool and swabbed it out. Then I loaded some Granger right from the pouch, no drying, using the same fill method I had with the CH, and had a solid 25-minute smoke. Go figure.

I prefer Granger anyway: CH has too much "cigarette" aroma for me. From now on I may mix CH with other tobaccos I like more.

From my experience life is too short to compromise on tobacco choices. My philosophy is smoke what I like and trade or trash the rest. Why dilute a tobacco you like with one you don’t. Someone once told me that “truth is beauty, beauty is truth, and f**k the sunk costs”. [.QUOTE="Benzadmiral, post: 11444101, member: 119111"]
After my smoke with the Carter Hall, I let the pipe cool and swabbed it out. Then I loaded some Granger right from the pouch, no drying, using the same fill method I had with the CH, and had a solid 25-minute smoke. Go figure.

I prefer Granger anyway: CH has too much "cigarette" aroma for me. From now on I may mix CH with other tobaccos I like more.
[/QUOTE]

From my experience life is too short to compromise on tobacco choices. My philosophy is smoke what I like and trade or trash the rest. Why dilute a tobacco you like with one you don’t. Someone once told me that “truth is beauty, beauty is truth, and f**k the sunk costs”. [.QUOTE="Benzadmiral, post: 11444101, member: 119111"]

[/QUOTE]
Well, I bought the tobacco, and it's not *bad* and I like it okay. But I hate to waste it. And it does make a good mix.

A pre-breakfast pipe: a mix of long-aged Tinder Box mystery maple-chocolate blend with Carter Hall in a no-name dark smooth bent billiard, prob. also from TB in the '80s or '90s. First time I've smoked the TB stuff in while, and first time for a bent pipe in quite some time as well. A bent has the advantage that you can see the leaf as you light it, and make sure you're igniting all of it.

Top Bottom