What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Altinok meer (Sav 321 author shape), 2018 GLP Gaslight.

IMG_2866.JPG

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I turned in quite early yesterday, and the bowl of Ennerdale in the Ben Wade Reader I packed yesterday evening, never got finished. I'm finishing that off this morning, and some Louisiana Flake I rehydrated overnight, seems to have resumed a smokeable condition, if I don't fancy sticking to Ennerdale all day.

If I fire any of the Louisiana Flake up, it'll either be in the Nording Compass, or Parker Poker. Although it's a Perique blend, it's also lightly topped, so I tend to use my "miscellaneous" blend pipes for that.

I'll have to try some of that Briggs Match soon.

A short afternoon smoke of the Stanwell straight billiard from Blue Room Briars out on my step. As I unpacked the Stanwell from the pipe box, I had to lift out the box of Carter Hall. Ah, thought I to myself, 'tis perfect. A half bowl, a 20-minute smoke, 1 relight.

On a warm breezy evening after a hot day, 3 pipes. Sansepolcro in a Radice Rind Billiard; Pembroke in a Mahogany Calabash; The Beast in an Arley Curtz straight Apple w/bamboo shank. A celebration of sorts. A few weeks ago, my dogs (not their fault) spilled half a cup of coffee on my desk, part of which ended up on my laptop keyboard. I dumped it out and wiped it down; it remained running. Good news. It put itself to sleep at some point and the next morning would not rouse itself. Bad news. It remains dead. Today I had the time to chat with a HP service tech who concluded, after a number of tests, that the machine was dead. He advised HP would send a box for me to ship the laptop in for repairs. I enquired as to the cost. No worries, my accident insurance will cover all costs. Unbeknownst to me, and my wife, who purchased the computer for me a year and a half ago, I have an extended warranty with accident protection. A happy day! Moral of the story? Buy the insurance, or don’t leave your dogs alone with a cup of coffee next to your open laptop; perhaps both.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
On a warm breezy evening after a hot day, 3 pipes. Sansepolcro in a Radice Rind Billiard; Pembroke in a Mahogany Calabash; The Beast in an Arley Curtz straight Apple w/bamboo shank. A celebration of sorts. A few weeks ago, my dogs (not their fault) spilled half a cup of coffee on my desk, part of which ended up on my laptop keyboard. I dumped it out and wiped it down; it remained running. Good news. It put itself to sleep at some point and the next morning would not rouse itself. Bad news. It remains dead. Today I had the time to chat with a HP service tech who concluded, after a number of tests, that the machine was dead. He advised HP would send a box for me to ship the laptop in for repairs. I enquired as to the cost. No worries, my accident insurance will cover all costs. Unbeknownst to me, and my wife, who purchased the computer for me a year and a half ago, I have an extended warranty with accident protection. A happy day! Moral of the story? Buy the insurance, or don’t leave your dogs alone with a cup of coffee next to your open laptop; perhaps both.
Glad to hear that despite a setback everything turned out alright in the end.

Posted in the Friday Savinelli thread: this morning, a mix of Half & Half plus Edgeworth Match in my pocket sandblast Savinelli 404. This mix has become a regular thing for me on Fridays for some reason. Each by itself is great, but the Match reduces the chance of tongue bite from the H & H should I puff too fast; and even in a small pipe like the 404, I can get 20-30 minutes' worth of smoke.

An early morning pipe as we wait for the tropical rain to either arrive or go away: the Italian Colossal lightly-bent billiard loaded with Sir Walter Raleigh Original. Usually I puff SWR in my Peterson 307. But someone here mentioned the notion that aromatics often smoke "better" (whatever that can mean) in a tall bowl. So I tried the Colossal. A cool smoke, 25 minutes with 1 relight, partly outdoors in a moderate though hardly cool breeze.

Top Bottom