What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

IMP meer, 2014 Samuel Gawith Commonwealth.
IMG_2764.JPG

Pouring rain and flash flooding today; looks like I'll be working from home. So . . . some Half & Half went into my small London Briar. About 30 minutes' sipping and puffing by the screen door, and occasionally right here at the computer (the cats are deep into their midmorning naps on the other side of the living room). The London Briar is probably the definition of a basket pipe; I don't even remember when and where I bought it. But it is simply a very good little smoking vehicle.

ETA: Working from home today! Woo-hoo!

Last edited:
I tried something new today: a 50-50 mix of Edward G. Robinson with the "VBL" Tinder Box black Cavendish that has been bagged up in my pipes box for years. The latter is still somewhat smokeable, though I think I need to let it air dry longer. I gave this combo about 15 minutes' air time, then blended and loaded it into a small GBD bent billiard. The mix lit well and smoked fine, but in about 10 minutes it went out. The flavor, well, there certainly is something there, something sort of toasted and yet a little sweet to it. But it was not good enough for me to relight and chase it some more.

This morning I packed my Oom Paul with some recently arrived Missouri Meerschaum Great Dane. The smoke was wonderful and I went through a bowl with just one relight after 'churning' up some deeper seated tobacco.

Tim

A very nice session with Carter Hall this morning over my coffee as I watched Hill Street Blues from 1985. The pipe was my new Rigoletto straight pot-shape. The ca. 25-minute smoke went amazingly well: about 15 minutes, then a relight for about 8 more. And when I tapped the pipe out, I got nothing but ash -- no dottle to speak of.

Top Bottom