What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Peterson MM 965 in my Italian lumberman.

16180231361623761458318241051133.jpg

As thunderstorms roll across the area and daylight begins to show: Sir Walter Raleigh in my 307 Peterson System pipe. I couldn't step outside, so I smoked mostly at the screen door. Though I wanted to sit at my dining table with the computer or a book -- but the cats love to sit near me when I do that, and I don't want them inhaling the smoke. Thirty good minutes with no relights. When I knocked the pipe out, I saw there was a little unburned tobacco that could have given me 5 minutes more. Nah; 30 is plenty.

A quick afternoon pipe: EG Robinson Blend in a Jansen (GBD or Comoy) bent apple. As often happens if I smoke more than once a day, I was not enjoying it 100%, and knocked the pipe out after a quarter hour.

I'm also not 100% sold on EGR. Sometimes I like it, other times I'm left wishing I'd loaded up some Sir Walter or Granger. That Latakia is not always my speed.

A morning post-breakfast pipe on the front step: a mix of Half & Half plus Granger in my Stanwell billiard. This morning I loaded the pipe straight from the pouches, did the charring light, and then set the pipe down on the counter while I ran off to the grocery, washed the car, and had breakfast on my return. Finally I re-lit the concoction and had a good 25 minutes' smoke as I read in the cool(ish) morning air. A third match got me another 5 minutes without tongue bite. This combo is excellent.

Had my first bowl of Stokkebye Natural Dutch cavendish this morning in my new MM Mark Twain. Easy to smoke mindlessly and Mrs. Rookie declared it worthy of keeping the windows open. While some may claim it lacks any flavor, I'd ask them if they had a more pleasant way of smoking air.

After dinner smoke now of St. Bruno in that same Mark Twain.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Another bowl of HU tobacco Directors Cut. I really wish this tobacco was more easily accessible in the US.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Just curious. I'm not necessarily a VaPer connoisseur. But I do like the occasional bowl of Escudo.

How does this one compare?

I haven't smoked any Escudo in about 6mo so my memory may be a little hazy. Escudo, to my untrained palate, is a little more tart/tangy while the Directors Cut is seems sweeter. I also get a little more spice from the Directors Cut than I do Escudo. All this is after only two bowls of Directors Cut, so I may be completely off base. I think I have enough for 2 more bowls and I'll update if anything changes. I could see the Director's Cut being a all day smoke for me if it was more readily available.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Director's Cut also contains Dark fired Kentucky which unfortunately overwhelmed the blend for me.

I read that in some of the reviews but I didn’t really notice anything I would strongly associate with Dark Fired Kentucky unless it was the spiciness I got in the blend. Of course I’ve been smoking a pipe again for a whole 8 months after a 15yr layoff so it could be I just didn’t recognize the Kentucky when I tasted it.

Top Bottom