What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Chilly here this morning; a perfect setup for some Edward G. Robinson blend in my Savinelli sandblast billiard with the military mount. A good 20 minutes' smoke. The dark roast coffee I sipped afterward seemed to bring out the flavor even more.

2007 Rad Davis, 2014 Escudo.
IMG_2643.JPG

C&D Sun Bear in a LePeltier half bent brandy/apple? sitter. Then PS LBF in a Radice Twin Bore Rusticated 1/4 bent apple.
This is my second smoke in the LePeltier, a double walled clay pipe with a glazed outer bowl. This pipe came to me in a box lot I bought from a friend at an average $6.50/pipe price. I'd never seen a pipe like this and paid little attention to it until a Clay Pipe thread started on another forum. A little sanding and polishing on the stem and this previously unsmoked pipe (note: the staining in the bowl in the picture is due to me loading and then unloading the bowl for the pic) is back in service. I'm not sure how old the pipe is, but the rest of the lot were at least 25 years old and one 72 years old. FWIW, it smokes great; a cool way to smoke a clay pipe.
proxy.php

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
A rather pedestrian evening to end a contemplative (and cold) day: some LLRR in a Vauen after dinner.

Vauen makes a stout, good-smoking, pipe. I plan on adding another one to the rack at some point.

My son told me he took a long forest walk this afternoon with a pouch of PA. He seems to like it. So I’m stowing away my last six tubs of it for him, just in case. I can get by on LLRR and SWR for the duration if need be.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A rather pedestrian evening to end a contemplative (and cold) day: some LLRR in a Vauen after dinner.

Vauen makes a stout, good-smoking, pipe. I plan on adding another one to the rack at some point.

My son told me he took a long forest walk this afternoon with a pouch of PA. He seems to like it. So I’m stowing away my last six tubs of it for him, just in case. I can get by on LLRR and SWR for the duration if need be.
I love pedestrian evenings and am looking forward to warm evenings where I can sit on the porch with the Schnauzers and smoke a pipe and with a bit of luck see the Milky Way.

The early morning pipe, on a cool Saturday as the sun comes up: Sir Walter Raleigh in my 307 Peterson. Cool and dry, almost 30 minutes' worth with no relights. A perfect combo. It seems that when I put these two together, I always get a great smoke.

I love pedestrian evenings and am looking forward to warm evenings where I can sit on the porch with the Schnauzers and smoke a pipe and with a bit of luck see the Milky Way.
I wish I had a porch, front or back. And I wish I had "warm" evenings at least some of the year instead of sweltering hot ones.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I wish I had a porch, front or back. And I wish I had "warm" evenings at least some of the year instead of sweltering hot ones.
I’ve lived in the South all of my life except for the 1,651 days eleven hours and thirty minutes spent in Syracuse, NY and I love the heat. This is the first front porch we’ve ever had and the Schnauzers and I love it.

I’ve lived in the South all of my life except for the 1,651 days eleven hours and thirty minutes spent in Syracuse, NY and I love the heat. This is the first front porch we’ve ever had and the Schnauzers and I love it.
Where in the South? Gnaw-luns is another tropical land entirely, since we get no breezes for most of the year. And a 10-month-long summer i(followed by a "winter" that is more like a spring, and then no spring) is too much.

Pipe of the afternoon: a blend of Half & Half with Sutliff's Field & Stream Match in the Stanwell billiard, as I sat reading on the step in cool air and late afternoon sun. Twenty minutes skimmed by without my noticing until the pipe went out. A good taste -- from the H & H, I suspect -- and no tongue bite.

The billiard, the estate one that came with a slightly looser stem than I like, is tightening up 6 (?) smokes into its life with me. Or so I think. I haven't tried turning the stem or removing it; I just run a sweetened cleaner down the airway, and let the pipe air dry for at least 48 hours between smokes.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Where in the South? Gnaw-luns is another tropical land entirely, since we get no breezes for most of the year. And a 10-month-long summer i(followed by a "winter" that is more like a spring, and then no spring) is too much.
Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia and Orlando, Florida. Orlando was closest to your climate I guess. Hot, muggy and short “winters” and I didn’t mind it at all. My wife hated it. Now I’m in South Carolina jam up against the Blue Ridge mountains. I went to College at Clemson, about 25 miles from here but due to the proximity to the mountains, the weather will be a bit different. In any case, I’m surrounded by trout streams now and that is where I hope to find peace.

Top Bottom