What's new

Pipe Nail

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Bumping an old thread with a new favorite pipe nail. I got a 1925 dated railroad/utility nail, my dad's birth year. Using a ball-peen hammer, I worked the end into a spoon, then filed it smooth. Very pleased with the results. The nails are relatively cheap and can be purchased in bulk on Etsy and eBay.

View attachment 1195558

I was going to ask how you flattened the end. I have a few but didn’t want to mess them up.

My usual pipe tool is a Brebbia Pipe Nail. Although I have been known to use anything I have near me at the time. :001_unsur

I am looking for something new. It would be interesting to hear what you guys use.

I'm the same, Mike. I tried the pipe nail but I enjoyed the Czech tool because I use all the pieces. If I'm in the pole barn tinkering, I'll use a spare bolt from my misc bolts and nuts drawer.

Bumping an old thread with a new favorite pipe nail. I got a 1925 dated railroad/utility nail, my dad's birth year. Using a ball-peen hammer, I worked the end into a spoon, then filed it smooth. Very pleased with the results. The nails are relatively cheap and can be purchased in bulk on Etsy and eBay.

View attachment 1195558

This is really something neat. Great job and a wonderful conversation piece.

Have several. Rogers stainless steel, Pewter Pipe figure tamper, a Laguiole Briar pipe knife, a Peterson pipe tool, tampers on the lighters, and my finger.

I have some of those same tampers. Cannot have too many, me thinks! Trying to convince myself of adding to my collection one of those Rogers pipe knives in red bone. I also like the A.G. Russell converted pen knife pipe tool. I covet that one with an Australian pearl handle. I do believe there never seems to be an end to it all....

I see you have a Laguiole pipe knife. I assume yours is the “Calumet?” I have the Forge de Laguiole “Calumet” in the dark horn tip. Mine was manufactured by Forge Laguiole.

Care must be taken these days on where a person purchases Laguiole products as their coveted, handmade artisanal products are increasingly becoming the target of counterfeiters. ‘Tis be a shame too as artisans such as Forge Laguiole are short in supply in this world and are probably having a tough go of it in light of the “disposable global economy” with not many buyers interested in investing in the higher quality/expense category. Quite the odds to overcome!

Laguiole pipe knives are lovely, precision, handmade pieces of art. That kind of product is rare in this day and age and deserves respect and patronage. But, no...a Chinese knock-off will do me just fine, many will claim.

It is true that Laguiole products are not built to satisfy everyone, I’m sure, and neither is their price point palatable to most for that matter. But, there is no arguing the fact that there is nothing quite like a company that is still somehow managing to continue to stomp around with a will to continue to survive despite all odds against it in rapidly changing culture and global economy. They must be living by the motto “never say die.”

In fact, what stands them apart from the crowd is that Forge Laguiole even forge their own steel for their products on premise. So, what you get in turn for your hard earned cash is a quality handmade instrument manufactured from stem to stern completely in-house. This is a rare feat from any manufacturer at any rate!

What you are primarlily paying for is the quality and history of their pipe knives. And, boy, they have all of that in spades. A very colorful history to explore if one is so inclined.

Add to that their products rank second to none and will most assuredly last for generations if maintained properly. And the most important factor of all is that their pipe knife tool is just plain beautiful.

I could think of worse ways to spend a wad of cash. And I have no problem, myself, supporting old school artisan’s, like Laguiole, which deal in hand made quality products such as these pipe knives.

Quite the interesting history of this brand, indeed!

Forge de Laguiole Tobacco Pipe Tool - Dark Horn
C864FDC4-F047-4360-ADFE-6E85C68368AC.jpeg

Last edited:
I have some of those same tampers. Cannot have too many, me thinks! Trying to convince myself of adding to my collection one of those Rogers pipe knives in red bone. I also like the A.G. Russell converted pen knife pipe tool. I covet that one with an Australian pearl handle. I do believe there never seems to be an end to it all....

I see you have a Laguiole pipe knife. I assume yours is the “Calumet?” I have the Forge de Laguiole “Calumet” in the dark horn tip. Mine was manufactured by Forge Laguiole.

Care must be taken these days on where a person purchases Laguiole products as their coveted, handmade artisanal products are increasingly becoming the target of counterfeiters. ‘Tis be a shame too as artisans such as Forge Laguiole are short in supply in this world and are probably having a tough go of it in light of the “disposable global economy” with not many buyers interested in investing in the higher quality/expense category. Quite the odds to overcome!

Laguiole pipe knives are lovely, precision, handmade pieces of art. That kind of product is rare in this day and age and deserves respect and patronage. But, no...a Chinese knock-off will do me just fine, many will claim.

It is true that Laguiole products are not built to satisfy everyone, I’m sure, and neither is their price point palatable to most for that matter. But, there is no arguing the fact that there is nothing quite like a company that is still somehow managing to continue to stomp around with a will to continue to survive despite all odds against it in rapidly changing culture and global economy. They must be living by the motto “never say die.”

In fact, what stands them apart from the crowd is that Forge Laguiole even forge their own steel for their products on premise. So, what you get in turn for your hard earned cash is a quality handmade instrument manufactured from stem to stern completely in-house. This is a rare feat from any manufacturer at any rate!

What you are primarlily paying for is the quality and history of their pipe knives. And, boy, they have all of that in spades. A very colorful history to explore if one is so inclined.

Add to that their products rank second to none and will most assuredly last for generations if maintained properly. And the most important factor of all is that their pipe knife tool is just plain beautiful.

I could think of worse ways to spend a wad of cash. And I have no problem, myself, supporting old school artisan’s, like Laguiole, which deal in hand made quality products such as these pipe knives.

Quite the interesting history of this brand, indeed!

Forge de Laguiole Tobacco Pipe Tool - Dark Horn
View attachment 1196061

This is mine...

B02BE70F-C733-46A1-A1EF-75F135D79D9C.jpeg

Nice! I like the briar scales. After I bought mine I had a fleeting thought that maybe I should have went with the briar wood model. At any rate, very nice tool.

Thank you. The briar is beautiful. Got it from the Italians many years ago. Sees some use but not as much as it should.

Sees some use but not as much as it should.
These Laguiole pipe tools are beautiful pieces of art...definitely heirloom quality. Just owning one is a treat. Even though the pipe tool end opposite the fly/bee guilloche is designed as a tamper; I would never use mine for that purpose.

So, there I/we go again excusing ourselves for not using “our precious” pipe knife tool enough.

It is probably a good thing I do not partake in cigars and/or wine presently too. Would only give me another reason to purchase yet more versions of Forge de Laguiole specialty tools. Irresistible for me. They have some very lovely specialty pieces.

Reactions: ctr
Speaking of not utilizing some of our pipe tools often enough or for what they were designed to do; I just had to have this railroad spike that appears to be conspicuously fashioned into a standard pipe tamper. This thing is supersized and da’ bomb to boot! I had to “give the business to” the seller about this Franken-tamper before I plopped down the cash for it. I mean this thing is just overboard...in a pinch this chunk of iron could nicely double as a boat anchor.
1F303A80-63C7-41AE-8E51-B01144469693.jpeg42F6451D-B11F-4981-9A69-425CCAAE2117.jpegC80A37AA-360D-4BD0-B206-1311EA1A7AD0.jpeg46307971-059B-454C-9F4A-0D7F965D371A.jpeg

These Laguiole pipe tools are beautiful pieces of art...definitely heirloom quality. Just owning one is a treat. Even though the pipe tool end opposite the fly/bee guilloche is designed as a tamper; I would never use mine for that purpose.

So, there I/we go again excusing ourselves for not using “our precious” pipe knife tool enough.

It is probably a good thing I do not partake in cigars and/or wine presently too. Would only give me another reason to purchase yet more versions of Forge de Laguiole specialty tools. Irresistible for me. They have some very lovely specialty pieces.

I do use the tamper end. But preferring smaller pipes it is rather large in the bowl for my liking.

A Peterson pipe tool has been getting a lot of use lately. This one...

9C46E67E-EDE5-48A6-A4B8-8B088585C3F1.jpeg

Not as pretty but easy to use.

Top Bottom