What's new

Pipe Nail

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My usual pipe tool is a Brebbia Pipe Nail. Although I have been known to use anything I have near me at the time. :001_unsur

I am looking for something new. It would be interesting to hear what you guys use.

I normally use a golf tee. I don't golf but I've got a ton of them now from many aristocob purchases. I've got a few czech tools that work good as well. Just recently ordered some nicer tampers but they haven't got here yet for me to try. I kinda like that the golf tees are wood and seem easier on the inside of the pipes. But I am not sure of this haha.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I most often use my Mr. Brog version of the Czeck tool or the built in tamper in my Old Boy lighter and I made one from some black bamboo with a 9mm cartridge case on the tamping end.

Czech tool or pipe nail. If I'm not using those I've been known to use my thumb. Can't go wrong with a czech tool, but if you're looking for something fancier than that P&C has some nice ones. The Brigham pipe tools look pretty nice.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I normally use a pipe nail or a Rockwell Binge pipe tool, and an Aristocob golf tee on my cobs. I occasionally use a Czech tool, but I don't care for the design of the tamper. Still, it's a good tool, and I'd recommend that or the Binge.

I most often use my Mr. Brog version of the Czeck tool or the built in tamper in my Old Boy lighter and I made one from some black bamboo with a 9mm cartridge case on the tamping end.

Great idea!!! More creative than what I use. I use a .308 case with a spent primer in it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Besides the half-dozen or so Czech tools I have, which I hardly ever use, it's usually whichever one of these two pipe tools I happen to pick up. The Brigham is a bit more ergonomically friendly, but the Rodgers is legendary quality.

IMG_0004.JPG

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I just use Czech pipe tools or the simple aluminum pipe tool with a tamper and scraper. I've thought about getting a nice pipe tool, but I'm afraid that I'll often misplace it or possibly lose it. Plus, I'd much rather spend my money on tobacco and pipes than accessories.

I have a Ronson pipe lighter that has tools built in.

I also use the inner post (bottom knob) from a Merkur razor (model unknown.)
It is nice and hefty and just the right size.

Czech tool was my go-to...

But then I made my own tamper. I took a spent .45acp case and whittled a piece of wood to fit snug, tapped it in and put mineral oil on the wood. Also drilled a hole and put in a small loop of orange Paracord. Works great, and cheap :)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I use an 8deco redwood tamper from SP. excellent and only $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Bumping an old thread with a new favorite pipe nail. I got a 1925 dated railroad/utility nail, my dad's birth year. Using a ball-peen hammer, I worked the end into a spoon, then filed it smooth. Very pleased with the results. The nails are relatively cheap and can be purchased in bulk on Etsy and eBay.

1608063032459.png

Bumping an old thread with a new favorite pipe nail. I got a 1925 dated railroad/utility nail, my dad's birth year. Using a ball-peen hammer, I worked the end into a spoon, then filed it smooth. Very pleased with the results. The nails are relatively cheap and can be purchased in bulk on Etsy and eBay.

View attachment 1195558
I think I just saw one of these date tampers on a vendors site on Etsy (i.e. Northwest Gentlemen) where I just bought one of his hand made bison hide “Tin Wraps.”

I have some of those horseshoe nails too.

Now that I look back over this thread I see a bunch of people with the 8deco too. Can never have too many tampers.

I just bought one of those 8deco “Legend” redwood handle tampers several months ago. Not too expensive @ about $15.00 and even more reasonably priced when found during a sale. Has a spoon/scraper on one end, concave and perforated tamper on the opposite end, and comes apart to reveal a type of reamer/poker stem.
0D5A70E4-C1CF-4CB7-A03F-4C0211148CCA.jpeg74B6F81A-DC0D-4B2F-9338-7DA1AC94CEC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom