What's new

Pipe Ghosts...

Hey guys, those of you who are more familiar with smoking a pipe probably know what I'm talking about...for those who aren't:

Pipe ghosts are the taste of one tobacco remaining in a pipe after smoking that tobacco in it. This will then linger when you try another tobacco (however it is not always very strong unless you smoked that blend exclusively for a long time and depending upon the blend).

Anyway, I smoke mostly briars and I have two corncobs, but no meerschaums. I am interested in your opinions on what types are less likely to hold ghosts.

In order: Meer, cob, briar.

That having been said, if you have enough pipes, there is no reason why you should need to contaminate a pipe with different types of blends.

Keep your virginias as virginias, your aromatics as your aromatics, and your balkans and english your balkans and english.

It is also a well known fact that there are some tobaccos best left to their own pipe, lest it be enjoyed always, regardless of what you happen to be smoking that day.

Thanks for the tips!

I generally do follow those guidelines (and know well enough to have a pipe dedicated to cherry blends separate from my other aromatics :lol:). The biggest problem is I've got bad tobacco AD so I've got a bunch of different aromatics and a handful of non-aromatics. So I want to try them to get a feel for which ones I like, however due to buying many 1 oz. samples I am afraid that in trying them I may not have enough to really taste the subtle nuances in the different blends due to ghosts. I'm really just trying to find a handful of tobaccos I really like and wouldn't mind dedicating their own pipe to. I have two cobs and 5 briars at this time.

meers will flush out ghost eventually, if you smoke them with a neutral blend. This is much harder with briars and almost impossible with cobs.

I've got a local tobacconist tacking a meer onto her next pipe order for me.

Is Condor a pretty neutral tobacco? It sounds like it may be, but I'm wondering if that will work for my aromatics as well?

Ouch was pulling your leg a little. Condor will leave a strong after taste in most any pipe. In a briar you can remove the cake and do a salt and alcohol treatment which will dramatically reduce or remove most stubborn ghosts and as you build a new cake with a neutral tobacco,(or any other you intend to smoke regularly), the pipe will take on the characteristics of the new tobacco. Usually separating your pipes into three basic types will do. Unscented Virginia and Burly blends without Latakia, English/Balkan blends containing Latakia, and Aromatics. Cobs are an excellent choice for sampling new Aromatics as if you don't care for it and it leaves a strong ghost you can just pitch it and get another for less than 10 bucks.

Ouch was pulling your leg a little. Condor will leave a strong after taste in most any pipe. In a briar you can remove the cake and do a salt and alcohol treatment which will dramatically reduce or remove most stubborn ghosts and as you build a new cake with a neutral tobacco,(or any other you intend to smoke regularly), the pipe will take on the characteristics of the new tobacco. Usually separating your pipes into three basic types will do. Unscented Virginia and Burly blends without Latakia, English/Balkan blends containing Latakia, and Aromatics. Cobs are an excellent choice for sampling new Aromatics as if you don't care for it and it leaves a strong ghost you can just pitch it and get another for less than 10 bucks.

:lol: When I looked and the site I found it on said it was pretty much just virginia and since when I smoke non-aromatic I'm usually an English/Balkan guy (and love Latakia) I figured Virginia wouldn't be very strong. However, I guess that shows how much I know about non-aromatics...I must admit I used to smoke Sam Gaweth Bracken Flake a lot, but have only recently been dabbling in trying other non-aromatics so my knowledge is limited on those so far.

Hey guys, those of you who are more familiar with smoking a pipe probably know what I'm talking about...for those who aren't:

Pipe ghosts are the taste of one tobacco remaining in a pipe after smoking that tobacco in it. This will then linger when you try another tobacco (however it is not always very strong unless you smoked that blend exclusively for a long time and depending upon the blend).

Anyway, I smoke mostly briars and I have two corncobs, but no meerschaums. I am interested in your opinions on what types are less likely to hold ghosts.
I am smoking a meerschaum at the moment,and i smoke my own blend which contains 10% dark fired kentucky.I am havving the most sublime dark fired ghost taste at the moment.I might get the same when i come to my briers but not as much.

I am smoking a meerschaum at the moment,and i smoke my own blend which contains 10% dark fired kentucky.I am havving the most sublime dark fired ghost taste at the moment.I might get the same when i come to my briers but not as much.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification

This post belong in the Brown Leaf!! Come on over and say hi!

Meerschaum pipes, clay pipes and morta pipes are your best bet for defying spirits from haunting your bowls. With Lakeland blends though all bets are off.

Top Bottom