What's new

Pipe Cabinet WIP

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So, inspired by the going on’s in the BL I finally decided to take the time and effort, which will be considerable, to make a 60 pipe display cabinet.
Since it’s a first go around I opted to go with some cheaper Poplar to see how it goes.
The issue with a pipe stand is the need for a hollowed out area for the bowl and a slot of some kind for the stem. I decided to use a router for the hollows, still debating about the slots.
In any event I routed out the hollows today and the results look promising.
image.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Excited to follow this thread. My project is on hold for the foreseeable future so I'm happy to live vicariously through you! Those look outstanding Ken, well done.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Excited to follow this thread. My project is on hold for the foreseeable future so I'm happy to live vicariously through you! Those look outstanding Ken, well done.

Thanks! The proof of the pudding will be in the eating so to say. Fingers are crossed :).

That's a nice start. Thinking a router still for the stems? If not, a jigsaw could be just as good.

That's a great job you did so far though! How did you manage getting the depth of your hollows so even? Last time I tried something like that, I ended up using the jigsaw and tacking that to a board underneath. I couldn't get them as nice or uniform as you did.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I made a jig that allowed the router to only move a certain amount, and most importantly, I used a bowl routing bit.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
What is your center to center measurement on the hollows?

I went 2”. The hollows themselves are 3/4+. In my testing I made them as small as 1/2” and at that width they held most of my pipes if placed vertical vs leaning back. In future models I might make shelves with differing hollow widths.
The shelves are 3x stock and the carcass/frame is 4x stock, so the hollowed shelf will flush the front and the stem slots will flush the back so I should be able to get a little bit of lean for each pipe.
I can tilt the shelves as well so I need to do a dry fit to see which would work best. What irritates me most are stands where all the pipes lean and spin haphazardly. Ideally I want them all straight and pointing straight ahead.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Oof!! It’s been two years since my last post. My how time flys.

Amazingly I had the itch to dry fit my pipe cabinet today and load it up to see if it works.
78C6E4AB-9353-413C-88AE-E2141F4BF828.jpeg

Spacing seems about right, some stems are too fat to fit in the upper groove so I’ll widen some of them. Next is a sand and stain, and then maybe some kind of door to keep the dust out.

Only downside vs keeping them in drawers is the vulcanite stems will need regular maintenance more often.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Oof!! It’s been two years since my last post. My how time flys.

Amazingly I had the itch to dry fit my pipe cabinet today and load it up to see if it works.
View attachment 1562951

Spacing seems about right, some stems are too fat to fit in the upper groove so I’ll widen some of them. Next is a sand and stain, and then maybe some kind of door to keep the dust out.

Only downside vs keeping them in drawers is the vulcanite stems will need regular maintenance more often.

It's looking great, Kent! Is there a wall you can mount it on that won't be exposed to direct sunlight? Reflected light might still oxidize them a little bit, but I imagine it would be far less drastic than a wall that gets direct or refracted sunlight.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's looking great, Kent! Is there a wall you can mount it on that won't be exposed to direct sunlight? Reflected light might still oxidize them a little bit, but I imagine it would be far less drastic than a wall that gets direct or refracted sunlight.

Thanks! I think the wall I plan on hanging it on doesn’t get direct sunlight, I think. I’ll have to triple check on that .

Top Bottom