What's new

Pipe Cabinet project

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I'm currently working night shift and that tends to lend itself to some free time in the evenings on my nights off. I was thinking of starting a project, ya know what they say about idle hands...I'd like to build myself a quality pipe cabinet. Do you guys have any cabinets you've been eyeing or photos that would spark some inspiration? I was thinking something that might hold in the neighborhood of 50 pipes or so as well as a cabinet below for tobacco.

This is one I found that I thought I could probably duplicate pretty well but before I commit to a design I wanted to see what you guys thought. Please help me out by including a photo if you can. I appreciate your input!

Screenshot_20200916-182730_Pinterest.jpg

That looks nice. That would look very nice in the wherever you smoke your pipes. If you measure the space that's going in, scale appropriately for size and needs, if it'll fit while keeping that 1 wide by 1.3ish proportions, do it!

I'm currently working night shift and that tends to lend itself to some free time in the evenings on my nights off. I was thinking of starting a project, ya know what they say about idle hands...I'd like to build myself a quality pipe cabinet. Do you guys have any cabinets you've been eyeing or photos that would spark some inspiration? I was thinking something that might hold in the neighborhood of 50 pipes or so as well as a cabinet below for tobacco.

This is one I found that I thought I could probably duplicate pretty well but before I commit to a design I wanted to see what you guys thought. Please help me out by including a photo if you can. I appreciate your input!

View attachment 1155924
What you build, it will be too small,, just saying :pipe:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
50 pipes is just under double what that cabinet holds.

I'd work the other way around. Decide what size piece of furniture you want, all three dimensions, then work backwards from there.

One way to get that many pipes racked has sprung to mind. Imagine that cabinet, but with pipe rack full height, then split down the middle as being the doors - thick doors with pipe shelves on. That way you get pipes on show for the full height, then you open it up for the tobacco, tamps, cleaners, lighters etc inside. Hopefully that makes sense. Tobacco and stuff inside, and pipes racked on the front of the doors.

That way, is interesting, but the flaw is that you only see one (pipes) or the other (paraphenalia). I prefer to display it all, as I do with my shaving stuff.

I do like the idea of repurposing an old roll-top style desk/cabinet. I've alway loved all the little cubby holes and drawers they have. Endlessly intriguing.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Most of my pipes are in a 10” woven basket crammed with various tobacco pouches, pipe cleaners, matches, lighters, tampers and stuff I’m not sure about but that looks like a good start to me.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
$900!! Yikes! I’m just thinking out loud....if someone has the skill and the tools that cabinet can be made for 1/4 that price. Or less.

brandaves

$900!! Yikes! I’m just thinking out loud....if someone has the skill and the tools that cabinet can be made for 1/4 that price. Or less.
I'm hoping...tools and skill not withstanding.

This is my cabinet my Social, Menu, and Financial Advisor bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago. It holds 48 pipes. When I retire in January, I plan, eventually, to build a similar cabinet that will hold 40 pipes. I will expand the dimensions somewhat and get a bit more space between the pipes.
proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is my cabinet my Social, Menu, and Financial Advisor bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago. It holds 48 pipes. When I retire in January, I plan, eventually, to build a similar cabinet that will hold 40 pipes. I will expand the dimensions somewhat and get a bit more space between the pipes.
proxy.php
Beautiful.

proxy.php
:jump:

I think materials will be about a hunnert.
You can get maple, cherry or walnut for that little?! (I know the picture is oak...) Could build frame it with poplar.

I would just want to make itiy study for when the kids have to move it out of the house when I'm gone 😂. I have to wait until I own a place big enough to have one. I don't want to love it after that.

brandaves

New possibility...I saw this on Craigslist for $100. I may buy this and simply build the racks in it and use the storage below for tobacco. Still a project but cheaper then building the whole thing and its BIG.
pipe cabinet.jpg

Thoughts? I'm still not sure about it really...

Top Bottom