What's new

Pipe and Matches

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So I didnt wante to be bothered getting out my lighter, and noticed i had a box of Swan Vestas. So i pulled one out and gave it a go. I have to say that lighting a pipe with a match was pretty enjoyable. It gives you a much more relaxed view, watching the flame dance from tinder to tobacco. I highly recommend it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I remember some of my older relatives . . . I'm not a kid . . . who would use a match to lite a cigar, pipe, cigarette . . .

They would lite the match . . . and then talk with you is it burned down . . . then almost magically, when you figured they forgot what they were doing and were certainly going to burn their fingers . . . they would in a couple of puffs . . . light their smoke.

Magic.

(yes yes yes I use ... way way way too much :001_tt2:)

I don't remember how my grandmother lit her cigarettes. I know there was a large mathcbox beside the gas range but I think that was there before their range had ignitors.

I know my grandfather on the other side of the family always had a Zippo.

I enjoy using matches for a pipe. It is more relaxing! But I also smoke in my enclosed porch, so I can use them anytime I please.

But, a bic is a lot easier for re-lights. If I'm going out fishing and taking the pipe (keeps skeeters away some!) I fill the Zippo with pipe insert!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Anyone think a match has less heat than a butane lighter? As in the temp of the smoke is less when lighting?

Anyone think a match has less heat than a butane lighter? As in the temp of the smoke is less when lighting?
I think they are around the same temp, flame wise. But, with a match you have a way more limited amount of time to puff from the flame, so you may not get the initial lighting of the bowl as hot.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
A match will always taste the best vs. a fluid. But you have to discard the match butt when done. No problem outside. But inside, that means walking around with an ashtray or container, or dropping them into Mrs. Columbo’s sink (and she doesn’t like that, especially if there is a colander around).

So inside, with the pipes, I use a piezo-fired Corona. The flint Zippos are bulletproof old-school alternatives, and a good bit cheaper. But I can taste the difference with the fluids. A really good butane is close to tasteless.

You can blow torch a bowl pretty badly with a lighter if you get stupid about it. If you can’t get a good light in a second or two with one, you are not doing it right. Give it a light tamp, and try again.

But a good match will usually burn long enough for a good light, pipe or cigar. Unlike a lighter, a match flame only pulls into the bowl on your draw, so you really have to go out of your way to over light with a match. I always tell beginning pipe smokers to start with matches. It’s a slower, easier learning experience, when habits, good or bad, are formed.

And not the fold open paper cigarette matches, but a legitimate wooden one. In a pinch, if not with a lighter, I will even swipe a handful of Mrs. Columbo’s Diamond kitchen matches before running outside. Cigarette matches are for the kids lighting up their first Swisher in the Wawa parking lot.

When I first started (only 8 years ago).....It was matches and they are certainly better... Now its mostly a bic lighter. Too lazy I guess.

I've almost always used matches. Recently, in Alabama, I had to smoke outside the hotel, and a frequent breeze made it hard to light up. The Zippo I picked up at The Briary has worked very well. Still I like the old-fashioned wooden match approach.

Apropos of that: Where do you find the wooden strike-on-the-box, or even the strike-anywhere, matches? My local Walmart is always out. My local grocery chain is too, and their 10-box package of smaller matches, those matches just don't cut it. A Piggly Wiggly in my area says they have the larger ones and I plan to drive over and get 2 or 3 boxes. Of course you can pick them up on Bezos's little hobby site for $10.00 (!) a box.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Apropos of that: Where do you find the wooden strike-on-the-box, or even the strike-anywhere, matches? My local Walmart is always out. My local grocery chain is too, and their 10-box package of smaller matches, those matches just don't cut it. A Piggly Wiggly in my area says they have them and I plan to drive over and get 2 or 3 boxes. Of course you can pick them up on Bezos's little hobby site for $10.00 (!) a box
I use Cigar matches made by Arango. Iwan Ries has a good selection of matches online. Sulfur free 4inches long. $2.50 a box. They also have Swan Pipe/Cigar matches same size but cheaper.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I use Cigar matches made by Arango. Iwan Ries has a good selection of matches online. Sulfur free 4inches long. $2.50 a box. They also have Swan Pipe/Cigar matches same size but cheaper.
As much as I want to support Iwan Ries, Micah’s story of tax issues scares me from purchases.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Yeah, Iwan Ries reported my mail order tobacco purchase to my state’s department of revenue. I got a shocking tax bill for my trouble. My memory is I had to pay something like $250 in taxes on a $100 purchase.

FWIW, that’s the only retailer that’s ever reported one of my mail order purchases. Technically, I’m responsible for self-reporting and paying the tax on my out-of-state tobacco purchases. But I don’t shop at Iwan Ries anymore. I totally would if I was in Chi-town—but I’d pay in cold untraceable cash.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Yeah, Iwan Ries reported my mail order tobacco purchase to my state’s department of revenue. I got a shocking tax bill for my trouble. My memory is I had to pay something like $250 in taxes on a $100 purchase.

FWIW, that’s the only retailer that’s ever reported one of my mail order purchases. Technically, I’m responsible for self-reporting and paying the tax on my out-of-state tobacco purchases. But I don’t shop at Iwan Ries anymore. I totally would if I was in Chi-town—but I’d pay in cold untraceable cash.
That’s crazy. Have you heard of this happening to other people? I haven’t bought a ton of stuff from them, but this kind of makes me leery.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
That’s crazy. Have you heard of this happening to other people? I haven’t bought a ton of stuff from them, but this kind of makes me leery.
I haven't. I received a very generic letter from my state DOR saying report and pay your taxes on all mail order tobacco purchases. I called the revenue agent listed and she told me the purchase had been reported by Iwan Ries, the amount of the purchase, and the tax I owed on it. This was maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Haven't ordered from Iwan Ries since, and don't know if they still report purchases, but it made me wary.

Top Bottom