What's new

Pipe and cigar Trade/Piff Poll

Should B&B allow members to trade/PIF Pipe tobacco or cigars?

• I am in favor of tobacco trades/PIFs for pipe and cigar as outlined below and may participate.

• I wouldn't want to participate but I do not object to allowing others to trade/PIF as described.

• I would not participate and I do object to tobacco trades/PIFs for pipe and cigar as outlined below.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I fully understand the trust issue. Personally, I like belonging to a cigar forum for my cigar related trades, etc. I'm not even against a B/S/T area under the cigar sub-forum on here. But, I would prefer to not have to wade through the non-shaving related B/S/T's on here to find shaving items. By non-shaving I'm including pens and colognes and anything that's not shaving related. Just my opinion, which is what the thread was asking for. Either way I'll enjoy being a member and learning more about DE's, Straights, hones, etc.

My mistake. I thought you were implying that ALL of B&B should be restricted to shaving related trades/sales only.

You make some good points. :thumbup:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'm not trying to argue degrees of relation. The comment was that we should stick to shaving items only, and fragrances aren't shaving items. Neither are pens, watches, or Saddleback leather goods - all frequently sold on the B/S/T.

Edit: Jason addressed pens in his post while I was clicking away on my phone, but my post stands.

Agreed, which is why certain products might be better off staying in their respective forums. If you don't want to argue over the relational degree of items to shaving the sky is the limit. Which may or may not be a good thing depending on where you stand.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Where the items eventually are traded is a tertiary issue. As evidenced by recent events, the BST can change, it has in the past and likely will in the future. We can always work that out later.
This is all about should we.

Where the items eventually are traded is a tertiary issue. As evidenced by recent events, the BST can change, it has in the past and likely will in the future. We can always work that out later.
This is all about should we.

Thank you Phil for bringing this back on track. I would still like to know about the likeliness of rule changes regarding contrabanded items before I cast my vote.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thank you Phil for bringing this back on track. I would still like to know about the likeliness of rule changes regarding contrabanded items before I cast my vote.

Rules are always subject to change.
If Cuban cigars became legal in the United States, then there would be no reason to prevent their appearance here at B&B.
They currently are not legal, and wouldn't be permitted in this iteration.
Cigarettes and cigarette materials, and devices which are commonly used as drug paraphernalia, though legal in the strictest sense, would also be off limits.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
As the membership grows and we all start trying out different things, would we be diluting the original intent of Badger and Blade by trying to cover every gentlemanly endeavor? Would this become a "jack of all trades master of none" forum? Or could we be a master of all?

I understand the ease of having all sales/trades in one place, but keeping all subforum related stuff within that subforum might be best in the long run. A newbie or lurker perusing the BST might be put off seeing tobacco, pens, watches, pipes and shoes mixed up with the Fatboys.

I like the diversity of the site. If I had a question about a fountain pen, might I get a quicker response on FPN? Maybe, but along with that comes a bit of snobbery. I have never been treated badly here. Even with the diversity, shaving is still far and away the sites strong suit. I like the gents here, and all the different things the show me to spend money on :biigrin:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I like the diversity of the site. If I had a question about a fountain pen, might I get a quicker response on FPN? Maybe, but along with that comes a bit of snobbery. I have never been treated badly here. Even with the diversity, shaving is still far and away the sites strong suit. I like the gents here, and all the different things the show me to spend money on :biigrin:

I agree with you 100%. I guess first and foremost this is a site dedicated to wet shaving, and secondarily dedicated to other "gentlemanly pursuits". At the extreme end of the scale I just fear we could end up being one big clearinghouse for selling used stuff.

In any event I support the tobacco trading and would use it myself :).

I think we're well beyond just being a shaving site already - the B+B is staking out a good position as a complete lifestyle discussion board. I say go for it.

It only takes one transaction involving someone who can't legally buy tobacco for "The Man" to get involved with this site.
Not if you talk with "the Man" first and follow his instruction regarding those issues to the letter. I'll say it again we are exercising due diligence and all legal issues will be addressed IF we go forward, we are not relying on hope or good intentions here.

Edit: Those are perfectly legitimate concerns, and worth mentioning, just want to reassure folks that we won't be flying by the seat of our pants.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
By "the Man" I of course mean the law. How are you planning to verify everyone's age, with enough due diligence that B&B won't be held responsible if a minor gets their hands on tobacco?

Legal Disclaimers, testaments, and the fact that in order to trade, an individual must already have tobacco in his possession.
Not foolproof, but it satisfies legal requirements.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I take it that means PIFs would be out (since there'd be no evidence of prior possession of tobacco)?

Plenty of ways to verify age other than already having it, a 1 cent purchase of a tag with a credit card, etc. But again, that's a different topic.
We know we can, the question is should we?

OK.

On credit cards - you only have to be 18 to get a credit card. Age for tobacco possession is 21.

It's also possible for the kids to borrow a credit card from Dad, since the 1 penny transaction will likely be counted as an attempt at card verification rather than a charge (unless you are doing a full authorization-commit.)

Age for tobacco is 18 in all states except Alaska, Alabama, and Utah. In those states it's 19. Alcohol is 21.

The mods have said they're doing their due diligence. Do you not trust them?

As long as we're arguing hypotheticals for the sake of arguing, it is illegal to ship alcohol via priority or air. Should we ban all sales/PIFs/trades of all colognes/splashes/etc on the off chance that a member tries to circumvent the laws regarding shipping?

There are always what ifs.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
OK.

On credit cards - you only have to be 18 to get a credit card. Age for tobacco possession is 21.

It's also possible for the kids to borrow a credit card from Dad, since the 1 penny transaction will likely be counted as an attempt at card verification rather than a charge (unless you are doing a full authorization-commit.)

But again, that's a different topic.
We know we can, the question is should we?

+1

At this point, it's just concept.

Well said!

Just found this thread. I feel it's a fine idea to trade cigars especially if they are premium hand made cigars. I am not a pipe smoker (yet) so trading pipe tobacco and pipes would be fine too. Afterall tobacco is still legal (for now).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think we're well beyond just being a shaving site already - the B+B is staking out a good position as a complete lifestyle discussion board. I say go for it.

It is amazing the variety of things you can learn on this board if you just look around a bit. A bit dangerous for the ADs, though :biggrin:

Could this lead to a B&B LE Cigar and accessories done through a third party seller?? (half sarcasm and half serious)

Cigarettes and cigarette materials, and devices which are commonly used as drug paraphernalia, though legal in the strictest sense, would also be off limits.

Just for clarification, does that mean cigarillos would also be off limits?

Regardless, I am in favor of the trading of tobacco here on B&B.

Top Bottom