What's new

Pipe and cigar Trade/Piff Poll

Should B&B allow members to trade/PIF Pipe tobacco or cigars?

• I am in favor of tobacco trades/PIFs for pipe and cigar as outlined below and may participate.

• I wouldn't want to participate but I do not object to allowing others to trade/PIF as described.

• I would not participate and I do object to tobacco trades/PIFs for pipe and cigar as outlined below.

Results are only viewable after voting.
While I would not participate in trading tobacco products, I'm all for B&B members sharing other gentlemanly things. For me, it would not be a bother if those items were on B/S/T. There are plenty of items on there that I do not read, so a thread about tobacco would be no different.

I'm all for the trading. I honestly can't see it being a nuisance on the BST, but I'm fine if it stays within the BL.

I am in favor of this under the condition that the rules can change. According to the economist (March 24th 2012) Cuba is hurtling towards capitalism, it fact it got a 10 page special report. When Cuban cigars are legal in the US will the rule be changed to allow them? I am assuming a full list of contraband items would be fully disclosed. Also with the new tag system anyone looking for it in the BST would be able to only select tobacco items. For the people who don't want to see them in general I propose the solution that a "all but" option should added to the sorting system. This would also be useful in the general use of BST. Say you want to see everything but WTB, you would be able to select everything but that. Or lets say you want coffee and razors you would be able to select out everything else. The inverse would also be nice (a multiple select sort). And since you say it is legal I have no problems against it. You might want to check what international law on trading is because of customs. Otherwise go for it, I feel it would be a great way to try new cigars.

I could care less as long as all trades and pifs are done inside the Brown Leaf forum. Certainly don't want to see any smoking related products start showing up on the regular B/S/T. Pipes and humidors already show up from time to time on the B/S/T, and that's a slippery slope. Just give them their own spot to buy, sell and trade like the coffee/tea folks have.

I have no moral problem whatsoever with tobacco products.

+1

Very much in support of tobacco trades/PIFs!! It's a way for shaving newbies who smoke to give back to the community! Most of us like to feel like we're contributing in some way, not just receiving...

I would be in favor of it. I would also suggest a requirement to buy a $0.01 membership to be eligible for trades. It would not, of course, entirely prevent underage buying, but the membership could include language in an agreement that you were over the legal age in your country, and would only trade with others who had bought the membership.

I would be in favor of it. I would also suggest a requirement to buy a $0.01 membership to be eligible for trades. It would not, of course, entirely prevent underage buying, but the membership could include language in an agreement that you were over the legal age in your country, and would only trade with others who had bought the membership.

This is an interesting idea. A "trader's club".

I am curious....does the Brown Leaf forum have a "BST heads up" thread? I know a few of the other forums have a thread that you can post a little something in the forum saying "hey...I just posted on the BST, go check it out". I just wanted ask, especially in light of the recent BST changes. Thanks ;-)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
As the membership grows and we all start trying out different things, would we be diluting the original intent of Badger and Blade by trying to cover every gentlemanly endeavor? Would this become a "jack of all trades master of none" forum? Or could we be a master of all?

I understand the ease of having all sales/trades in one place, but keeping all subforum related stuff within that subforum might be best in the long run. A newbie or lurker perusing the BST might be put off seeing tobacco, pens, watches, pipes and shoes mixed up with the Fatboys.

I guess I don't see the point. There's forums for pipes and cigars where trades and PIF's take place. Unless the intent is for B&B to become a one stop shop for trading of all possible types of items, I say limit it to shaving related items only. Eventually there will be so many non-shaving items in the B/S/T that it'll be hard to find the shaving stuff. I'm just not a fan of B&B becoming the Walmart of B/S/T's. And just for clarification, not only do I not have a problem with cigars, I love them and try to smoke at least one every day that I have the time.

Last edited:
I guess I don't see the point. There's forums for pipes and cigars where trades and PIF's take place. Unless the intent is for B&B to become a one stop shop for trading of all possible types of items, I say limit it to shaving related items only. Eventually there will be so many non-shaving items in the B/S/T that it'll be hard to find the shaving stuff. I'm just not a fan of B&B becoming the Walmart of B/S/T's.
The point is most of us prefer, and are more likely to trust, the membership here at B&B. I have a few friends here that I have traded with because I like them, not because I need the tobacco. I also like to help out newbies to the hobby of pipes and cigars. If this was a shaving only forum, I would have quit visiting 2 years ago. The diversity is what makes this place so endearing to a lot of us. I'm starting to think the tobacco related trades and PIF's should be kept entirely within the BL. There is no buying, no selling, only trading of goods, and there isn't much going on trade wise anyway. It seems to ruffle enough feathers though to keep it off the BST.

Colognes are not directly related to shaving, and there haven't been any objections to fragrance sales or trades.

The point is most of us prefer, and are more likely to trust, the membership here at B&B. I have a few friends here that I have traded with because I like them, not because I need the tobacco. I also like to help out newbies to the hobby of pipes and cigars. If this was a shaving only forum, I would have quit visiting 2 years ago. The diversity is what makes this place so endearing to a lot of us. I'm starting to think the tobacco related trades and PIF's should be kept entirely within the BL. There is no buying, no selling, only trading of goods, and there isn't much going on trade wise anyway. It seems to ruffle enough feathers though to keep it off the BST.
I concur.

True, but a pipe or cigar isn't even close.

I'm not trying to argue degrees of relation. The comment was that we should stick to shaving items only, and fragrances aren't shaving items. Neither are pens, watches, or Saddleback leather goods - all frequently sold on the B/S/T.

Edit: Jason addressed pens in his post while I was clicking away on my phone, but my post stands.

I fully understand the trust issue. Personally, I like belonging to a cigar forum for my cigar related trades, etc. I'm not even against a B/S/T area under the cigar sub-forum on here. But, I would prefer to not have to wade through the non-shaving related B/S/T's on here to find shaving items. By non-shaving I'm including pens and colognes and anything that's not shaving related. Just my opinion, which is what the thread was asking for. Either way I'll enjoy being a member and learning more about DE's, Straights, hones, etc.

Top Bottom