What's new

Pipe and cigar Trade/Piff Poll

Should B&B allow members to trade/PIF Pipe tobacco or cigars?

• I am in favor of tobacco trades/PIFs for pipe and cigar as outlined below and may participate.

• I wouldn't want to participate but I do not object to allowing others to trade/PIF as described.

• I would not participate and I do object to tobacco trades/PIFs for pipe and cigar as outlined below.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Over the last several months members have approached the mod team with the idea of asking that B&B allow the limited trading of certain tobacco products on the forums. After much deliberation we also thought it a good idea to take the pulse of the general membership before making any decision, yes/no or otherwise. So here is the situation we present to you, the B&B member, for your thoughts on the matter:

B&B is considering allowing trades and PIFs of pipe tobacco and cigars for our members. This would allow our pipe and cigar smoking members the opportunity to share favorites with friends and to participate in B&B's great PIF traditions that some of the membership has expressed interest in organizing.

There will be limitations and some tobacco products will be excluded from trade and are not under consideration. This is still under deliberation and more restrictions may be placed as necessary the following is a general outline.

There will be NO direct sales of tobacco of any kind. There will be NO trading of cigarettes or cigarette making supplies. There will be NO trading of contraband such as Cuban cigars. There will be NO trading of anything that even hints at drug use. There will be NO large scale trades, immediate personal use quantities only.

While we would like to see B&B grow into the penultimate gentleman's site on the web, we do not want to alienate the many members who make B&B the great place that it is. It is our desire to raise all boats rather than to sacrifice one gentlemanly endeavor to another.

Even if you are not a reagular member of The Brown Leaf we would encourage your participation. All B&B member opinions are welcome.

Last edited:
I would like to see the trade function come back. I enjoyed one cigar trade in the previous area and it worked great. Although it was the area that I looked at the least because I did not care for all the listings of entire cellars/humidors. I prefer-- I am looking for xyz who would like to trade for something vs. here is everything I have ever purchased in my celler/humidor, now what do you have.

-Luke

I could care less as long as all trades and pifs are done inside the Brown Leaf forum. Certainly don't want to see any smoking related products start showing up on the regular B/S/T. Pipes and humidors already show up from time to time on the B/S/T, and that's a slippery slope. Just give them their own spot to buy, sell and trade like the coffee/tea folks have.

I have no moral problem whatsoever with tobacco products.

I could care less as long as all trades and pifs are done inside the Brown Leaf forum. Certainly don't want to see any smoking related products start showing up on the regular B/S/T. Pipes and humidors already show up from time to time on the B/S/T, and that's a slippery slope. Just give them their own spot to buy, sell and trade like the coffee/tea folks have.

Just curious...having bought several nice pipes on the B/S/T, why is that a slippery slope? The Nib has a tag they use in B/S/T.

Why is this a matter for discussion? I must be missing something. If razors and creams can be traded, what is different about these items? And, what does a potential slippery slope lead to? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here.

All that said, I have no vested interest whatsoever, which makes me believe all the more I'm missing the problem. After all, you're asking everyone and I figured all things BL have nothing to do with me out of lack of interest.

Why is this a matter for discussion? I must be missing something. If razors and creams can be traded, what is different about these items? And, what does a potential slippery slope lead to? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here.

All that said, I have no vested interest whatsoever, which makes me believe all the more I'm missing the problem. After all, you're asking everyone and I figured all things BL have nothing to do with me out of lack of interest.

+1! I don't get the slippery slope thing either....we are talking pipes or cigars...something are just available more locally or regionally. I'm sure I have cigars here in Florida that may be difficult for others to get...

I would like to see the trade function come back. I enjoyed one cigar trade in the previous area and it worked great. Although it was the area that I looked at the least because I did not care for all the listings of entire cellars/humidors. I prefer-- I am looking for xyz who would like to trade for something vs. here is everything I have ever purchased in my celler/humidor, now what do you have.

-Luke

I agree with you. I proposed the trade thread to James, and almost immediately lost interest in it because of the exact situation you describe. I'd love to be able to post "Hey, I bought some xzx tobacco and didn't care for it, would anyone like to trade" or similar, but my limited dealings in the thread were a hassle, to say the least.

Legion

Staff member
In the US is there a legal age that one can buy tobacco products? I know in Australia you have to be over 18, and supplying tobacco to a minor is also an offence.

Really, we have no way of properly verifying a members age when we PIF them some tobacco. Just something to think about.

That will be addressed if it seems appropriate to go forward, B&B will not tolerate illegal activity of any kind. According to relevant federal and state authorities it is legal, but that does not necessarily mean the membership wants it. We need to know the thoughts of the general membership to see if it is a worthwhile endeavor.

Last edited:

As it stands now, the BST forum is where all sales and trades occur. The mini BSTs in the NIB and Cafe are gone. We don't see a problem or a slippery slope with the current BST evolution.

-jim

You gotta :a11: for your right to :punk: cause some sorry :censored: wants to try and take that right away :a30: the rules have already been covered and it doesn't take a :smartass: to figure it out, I'm :a31:and this is :out:.

i agree with this.

as for people questioning why its a slippery slope is easy.... its a shaving web site.
dont get me wrong,, i love the fact that 1 site has reached out to soooo many, and so many different aspects. thats awesome. clothes, the outdoors, pens, tobacco, coffee/tea and so on and so forth,,, but if it were all done on the same thread you wouldn't be able to see the Forrest through the trees.

this site offers something for almost anyone you can thing of, and it is broken down accordingly.
i agree with this, i wish to see it continue like this. if i want coffee, or pens, or tobacco? i know where to go. ALL the rest is shaving.

thank you for allowing me to put in my opinion.

I have no problem with it and would love to see it implemented. As suggested above, we should take the extra step and keep it contained so that people have to make a conscious decision to see tobacco related B/S/T threads.

I see no problem with it. We already had a cigar/pipe tobacco swap not too long ago. Not too different from that right?

I think it should be kept within the BL though.

Seems a good idea to me.

Just one thing though. No trade in Cuban cigars. The ban on Cuban products is only in the USA. I can legally buy Habanos over the counter here in Britain and just about anywhere else in the world.

Sadly can't afford them though!

So why should we be banned from exchanging some with a member in say Germany or Canada?

Gareth

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Seems a good idea to me.

Just one thing though. No trade in Cuban cigars. The ban on Cuban products is only in the USA. I can legally buy Habanos over the counter here in Britain and just about anywhere else in the world.

Sadly can't afford them though!

So why should we be banned from exchanging some with a member in say Germany or Canada?

Gareth

Because B&B is incorporated in the State of California, and as such, posts on B&B are subject to the laws of California and the United States.

I think this would be a great idea. Being a cigar smoker, I may be a bit biased though. From what I have seen on this site so-far, most members are very respectful and follow a gentlemanly code. Rules need to be in place but I would expect members would follow these.

It would be great for me, as I do not have the largest selection locally. This would allow me easier access to these products.

The OP said they would "like to see B&B grow into the penultimate gentleman's site on the web". This seems like a natural extension to me. It will need to be moderated though.

I am curious what the argument against this is. Do others take offense to seeing tobacco related posts? My question is not meant to challenge this stance, I am genuinely interested in what opposing view is.

I trust that the members of this site would use this function responsibly, that said, I'd imagine that there's quite the variety of these products, so I hope that the new tagging system in the BST has time to settle in first so our shaving listings don't get lost amongst the tobacco ;)

Top Bottom